Thread: Boeing 737 Max

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boeing 737 Max

Most know this relatively new aircraft has been involved in two deadly crashes in 6 months with the most recent one in Ethiopia. Many countries have grounded the planes including the UK. The US carriers are standing by the plane and continue to operate it daily, including Southwest who recently began flying daily from the west coast to Hawaii. They have noted no problems with the aircraft. I do find it interesting that both of the crashes were in lesser developed countries who have pulled out of being third world countries. Could it be that their training on the new plane is deficient? I do not know but I have to have faith that the FAA would ground them here in a second if they thought the planes were at fault for the crashes. Any thoughts? Would you fly on one? Could it be that Europe is grounding them to give Boeing a direct competitor of AirBus a black eye? I would fly in the plane but not in Ethiopia or Jakarta.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I trust U.S. aviation officials. They have a solid reputation for doing the right thing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I trust U.S. aviation officials. They have a solid reputation for doing the right thing.

Hunter
    I do too...Tom asked whether the training might be deficient in the third or second or whatever world those people were from...I would look at that as well as maintenance and fuel/lubricants quality, with particular emphasis on record keeping...It's just as easy to pencil whip records today as it was fifty years ago......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Some years ago we lost one in the sea and I read the whole report after the investigation. Was ice in the depot tube and got into a stall, I made the remark at the time why not take manual control and use the GPS to tell them the air speed. There making the controls so auto they don't know how to fly manual when a problem crops up.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Rightwing View Post
    Some years ago we lost one in the sea and I read the whole report after the investigation. Was ice in the depot tube and got into a stall, I made the remark at the time why not take manual control and use the GPS to tell them the air speed. There making the controls so auto they don't know how to fly manual when a problem crops up.
    That right there is why Asiana hit the ground before the runway at SFO. Auto approach system was down and they couldn't fly it properly on manual approach. My Niece was one of the controllers in the tower when it hit.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

There's no doubt that the operation of a modern airliner has become quite complex and is Guided by multiple computers and a number of electronic interfaces. I was told by One Pilot that once it was two feet off the ground they never touched the controls again until they were on Final Approach. So with that kind of flying Talent relying totally on computerized programs I can see why raw flying skills could diminish. I don't know that I hope they figure it out
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Could it be that their training on the new plane is deficient?
    Yes. My BIL is a Flight instructor for Delta. He told me in most foreign countries the training on how to fly the aircraft without the computer flight controls is severely lacking. If the computer fails they simply push more button instead of taking control. That was proven with the crash in San Francisco a few years back. They let the computer fly it into the ground instead of disengaging it and fly the plane.