Thread: This hit home, PTSD

This hit home, PTSD

a good read for all of us that saw some stuff that we wish we could un see.

https://www.outsideonline.com/237679...k-rangers-PTSD
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Thanks!
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    ...saw some stuff that we wish we could un see.
    Perhaps, at some point, we'll be able to sort out whom will be impacted and whom will not.

I think of my sister-in-law who has, at times, debilitating PTSD from her experiences as a cop. Yet, she was raised by the same parents as my wife and had virtually the same life experiences. Oddly, my wife eats stress and actually enjoyed stressful times in las enforcement. One of them is thrown off track by stress and the other is not. How do we know in advance where they will land? Someday we might, and, it could be helpful.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Perhaps, at some point, we'll be able to sort out whom will be impacted and whom will not.

I think of my sister-in-law who has, at times, debilitating PTSD from her experiences as a cop. Yet, she was raised by the same parents as my wife and had virtually the same life experiences. Oddly, my wife eats stress and actually enjoyed stressful times in las enforcement. One of them is thrown off track by stress and the other is not. How do we know in advance where they will land? Someday we might, and, it could be helpful.

Hunter

I completely agree some folks can do all sorts of tough grisly things and go eat bowl of spaghetti afterward, some want to sit in a dark room and shake. If affects people quite differently. I know when I got shot on duty the officers around me at the time and later seemed to be affected by it more than me.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I thrived on the excitement of the call. Most of our calls were blunt force trauma in nature and many times I was the only medic for 15 to 20 minutes. My stress was cumulative and I did not realize how bad my PTSD was until I left the service and my wife pointed out my anger and sleeplessness issues. It was never debilitating but it made me damn near impossible to be around at times. It has taken me 6 years to get to a calmer, happier place. I still have a ways to go.
    Last edited by TriGuy; 03-08-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I know when I got shot on duty the officers around me at the time and later seemed to be affected by it more than me.
    And, you have done well. Those officers from your past were fortunate to still have you amongst them.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post

Hunter
    We are learning daily about PTS and how it is tied to TBI & you can have TBI from early in life that can take a event and one person gets PTS and another person who did not have a TBI does not get PTS. If you remember back in the 80's & 90's Pressure Point Control Tactics and how you did a strike to the front and side of the skull, well those strikes cause TBI and thus it could be "easier" to get PTS.

Just like how we are learning people who smoke pot and have TBI/PTS are complicating matters and making things worse and not healing in any way shape or form.