Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact 9mm pistols

Compact 9mm pistols

Anybody here carry one. If so do you experience any striker drag on the primer?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I've carried assorted 9's for years, as has my wife. My current 9mm is a Sig. Most of my past 9's were S&W. Wifey carried a Glock for a while on the job. No problems to report.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Everyone should carry what they're comfortable, and confident with...I've always remembered Col. Jeff Cooper who said, "One hit with a .45 is worth a thousand misses with a nine"...He was quite a character...I got to meet him and one of his daughters at a SHOT Show one year when theyt were promoting his autobiography which they co-wrote...

Tom, by "striker drag on the primer," are you referring to a misfire?...I'm not familiar with the term......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

No Ben is not a misfire it's where the firing pin stays out for a microsecond during the ejection process and makes contact with the primer after the bullet has been fired and it makes a drag mark to the edge of the primer. Many believe overtime that the firing pin will weaken and may eventually break
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I haven't heard of that one, but I haven't kept up with the industry since I left the business......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

This is the first I've heard of it. There seems to be a lot on the 'net.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

A good job, guys.

I've learned something today. I've never thought that I'd have a need to examine my empty shells - but I'll do so from now on. Doing so could cue me into problems that may be occurring with the firing pin.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This is the first I've heard of it. There seems to be a lot on the 'net.
    Mike that picture is of aluminum cased ammo manufactured by CCI for Federal (note the headstamp), but a little reading indicates it may be boxer primed instead of the proprietary non-reloadable CCI Blazer ammo which has been around for decades...Even if it is boxer primed, I would never encourage anyone to reload anything other than a brass casing...Just a word to the wise......Ben

Ben, that is just a random picture I found on the 'net. There are lots of other PICTURES.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

The majority of the pics Mike posted were from shell casings fired from a Sig P365. I shot my P365 a bunch last week and noticed that I had the striker drag on my primers. I did some research and found a youtube video that took three compact 9mm pistols. The Glock 43, the S&W Shield 9mm and the Sig P365. The guy in the video shot each one 5 times and collected the casings. ALL of the casings from each of the pistols had striker drag marks on the primer. The reason he did the comparison is that the Sig P365 has been murdered in the gun press for this issue. He wanted to see if other compacts did it. He found they all did so he concluded it may be the way compact 9's operate and not a "Sig" problem but a compact pistol problem. I asked the question here to see if anyone else had the issue and if they were concerned. The last thing I want to do is to return the pistol to Sig only to have them say it operates normally.

Here is the video if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4qQtGewek&t=634s

I just examined some brass I collected from my last shooting session. The .40 brass fired from my Glock 23 had a few rounds with a small indication of what is being called striker drag on some of the brass, but it was not something I would have noticed before this thread. The .380 brass fired from my Ruger LCP almost all had the look of striker drag even though the LCP is (internal) hammer fired. I have no idea what this means on either weapon. For that matter, I have no idea what it means for any weapon.

I don't either that is why I asked. The "experts" at least many of them are having a come a part over the issues especially with the Sig P365. I love mine and for a short barreled gun it is extremely accurate. It handles very well.

P365 in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMVg18hXI4

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Ben, that is just a random picture I found on the 'net. There are lots of other PICTURES.
    I knew that...I'd just never seen aluminum cased Federal ammo, and wanted to see if anyone else had......Ben

Unless it affects the performance of the gun, I don't see a cause for concern......Ben

O.K.- I'm feeling a bit better about this issue now. It's amazing the things I learn on this site.

Hunter