Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not a trailer toter...

I'm not a trailer toter...

But this looks like it might be an advantage to those who are...Any thoughts from you seasoned professional slackers about it?......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I don't see a real advantage in that particular view.

At what point do some of these driver aids become driver distractions?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I don't see a real advantage in that particular view.

At what point do some of these driver aids become driver distractions?
    It would probably be necessary for me to program my thinking into using it more for a rearview mirror than for its entertainment value, as I'm sure some will see it...I've lately had to force myself to ignore the phone ringing in my pocket until I'm parked safely somewhere...It's a tough learning curve......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

But I can see an advantage if the screen is only visible when the transmission is in reverse...I'm almost worthless at backing a trailer since I only do so once in a blue moon...Or maybe if it's activated by a steering wheel button with a momentary function......Ben

That is similar to my cameras: the rear camera is only active when in reverse, the front camera only when activated at slow speed by a button. Both are effective and helpful---and cannot be used as "toys".

I can see that camera in your post as a help in backing up---it could replace my wife who always manages to be out of my sight and giving me verbal directions which I cannot hear
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hauling my mini trailer or not, I check the rear view mirror least once every 15 or so seconds. I can see no difference in a safety aspect if there were a camera on the rear of a trailer which allows you to see what is behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    I can see no difference in a safety aspect if there were a camera on the rear of a trailer which allows you to see what is behind you.
    It seems to maintain perspective with the cab-mounted camera if the photo is any indication...I wonder how it does that since perspective changes with distance between cameras...Does it somehow adjust lens zoom and focus depending on trailer length?......Ben

My current truck has a rear-view camera - and it's spoiled me. I can see behind my truck much better than before - particularly in poor lighting.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    My current truck has a rear-view camera - and it's spoiled me. I can see behind my truck much better than before - particularly in poor lighting.

Hunter
    I'm thinking of adding one to mine, plus some additional lighting...Extra visibility cant hurt......Ben

I have a rear camera on the truck and the trailer. Both are great safety devices. The one on the truck only works in reverse, but the one on the trailer is activated by my headlight switch (power comes from the trailer running lights). I use the one on the trailer just like a rear view mirror. I use it more on the road than for backing. Somehow I just can't seem to use it more than the mirrors for backing. Old habits are hard to break.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Somehow I just can't seem to use it more than the mirrors for backing. Old habits are hard to break.
    It took me awhile to get used to using the backup camera--but now I would not want to be without it.

As for using a camera to back a trailer---yes you could see what is behind you but I don't see it as an aid in the case of a full width trailer. I can see a trailer starting to change alignment with a quick look in the mirrors, I suspect faster than I could see it in a rear mounted camera.

I think it is more so a person can see what is behind the trailer going down the highway. It looks like it would take a while to get used to the perspective. I have a rearview camera on the new truck but pulling a fifth wheel all I see is the front of the trailer when backing. It does help a lot in finding the coupler on the boat trailer.

The problem is the people that need this also have older trucks with "car" mirrors so they can't even see around the trailer much less behind it. But like a lot of people they only look in front of what they are driving.

Would be interesting in the view you would get looking "behind" a 40' fifth wheel?
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    ....Would be interesting in the view you would get looking "behind" a 40' fifth wheel?
    I have a camera on the rear of my 41' fifth wheel and it is just like looking in the interior rear view mirror. Only without the trailer being in the way.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    ......I can see that camera in your post as a help in backing up---it could replace my wife who always manages to be out of my sight and giving me verbal directions which I cannot hear
    Thought I was the only one with that problem. LOL
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Thought I was the only one with that problem. LOL
    It's not among my excuses anymore, Fred...I'm forced to assume full responsibility when I back into something......Ben