Long overdue

....but at least people can get paid.

From the WSJ:
    By Rebecca Ballhaus,
    Kristina Peterson and
    Gordon Lubold
    Updated Jan. 25, 2019 1:44 p.m. ET

Breaking News...

WASHINGTON—President Trump and congressional leaders have reached a tentative deal to reopen the government for three weeks while negotiations over border security funding continue, according to congressional aides.

The White House said Mr. Trump would make remarks shortly about the shutdown.

The deal wouldn’t provide immediate funding for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, administration officials said.

It wasn’t clear what the framework for border-security discussions in the next three weeks would look like.
    trump lost a lot in this one.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

At least he's gone from being focused on a wall and is now looking at border security.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    At least he's gone from being focused on a wall and is now looking at border security.
    I'll have to read it---I started to listen but could not continue. trump was spinning this as something he did and all the credit goes to him. While that might sound ridiculous to us--he believes it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Very proud of our President for putting the American people ahead of his personal politics knowing what he would face (which has already started here). Today Trump took the high road while the Dems took the low road. Thanks Mr. President.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Very proud of our President for putting the American people ahead of his personal politics knowing what he would face (which has already started here). Today Trump took the high road while the Dems took the low road. Thanks Mr. President.
    I would agree if it was not for the fact that he got us into this mess to begin with.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Mike, I disagree. He ran on the wall and was elected on the wall. The mess was created by his adversaries who were hell bent on embarrassing him and denying him the ability to deliver on his campaign promise.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Walls / barriers do not insure total control over the people who are trying to enter the Country illegally. They will however make it a bit more difficult and possibly deter some from even trying.

Now, to say that Trump caved may be a bit premature. You could just as easily say that he was in sympathy with those who were not being paid because of the democrat obstruction of something they were for during the previous administration. So, he in an attempt to help those affected, he is giving the dems three weeks to actually govern. Something they have been reluctant to do for two years.

Then, Trump needs to show we the people a map designating those areas in which a physical barrier would be most effective and where , for pelosi, an electronic oversight non physical deterrent would be appropriate.

IF, if , after the three weeks there is no progress, then a Govt. shutdown will be totally on the dems. Don’t get me wrong, he may have to give a bit and they have to give a bit. Compromise is what makes this system work.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Mike, I disagree. He ran on the wall and was elected on the wall. The mess was created by his adversaries who were hell bent on embarrassing him and denying him the ability to deliver on his campaign promise.
    He did what you say. He has also caused serious harm to unknown millions of citizens who rely on their paychecks from the federal government and an unknown number of businesses who rely on their work and products for the federal government. I will never be able to forgive him for that. Not even if he pays for the wall from his own pocket.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Trump has no sympathy for those not being paid. Just yesterday he said:

However, Trump continued on with his answer, telling reporters gathered for a media briefing that unpaid federal workers should be able to get assistance from banks and grocery stores.
    "Local people know who they are when they go for groceries and everything else," Trump said. "So I think what Wilbur was probably trying to say was that they will work along — I know banks are working along. If you have mortgages, the mortgagees, the folks collecting the interest and all of those things, they work along. And that's what happens in a time like this, they know the people, they've been dealing with them for years, and they work along. The grocery stores...and I think that's probably what Wilbur Ross meant."
    Yeah, like that's going to work!

Compromise is dead and stinking. That is also what got us where we are today.

Well we can agree on one thing, the government is back open...............................for now. Still waiting to see if boss lady is going to let the President speak. Guess he will have to be a good boy.

Maybe he could trade her an airplane for his speech.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Poltie and my squaw are the same, sometimes a little hard to get along with. Hope Trump can get the gonads to stomp on her into the ground.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.