Thread: got a new small stream pack-able fly rod

got a new small stream pack-able fly rod

7'6", 6 piece 4wt fly rod arrived. Good quality, med/stiff action, nice balance. The all graphite reel comes spooled with backing and a wt fwd 4wt floating fly line. Plus carrying case. I can' wait to get it out onto a small stream or go for bluegill and crappie on some of the ponds oh and it only cost $95

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

took it out in the back yard and did some casting in the rain. it tosses the line out nicely. I had to back off on the wrist action to let the line settle down instead of cracking the tip down hard. I think this is going to be a fun small stream set up. the rod is a little faster action than I am used to so i will have to pay more attention to my casting technique.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    took it out in the back yard and did some casting in the rain.
    Any bites?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Me thinks my small stream and your small stream might no be the same.

My small stream is maybe 10' wide at a good place and for the most part has a full canopy overhead---and not far overhead. My small stream rod is 6' long and is more used to being sidearm cast than overhead,
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Me thinks my small stream and your small stream might no be the same.

My small stream is maybe 10' wide at a good place and for the most part has a full canopy overhead---and not far overhead. My small stream rod is 6' long and is more used to being sidearm cast than overhead,
    The coastal and west side of the Sierras are like that. The east side of the Sierras is more wide open, 8-10 feet wide with long pools and brush / willows lining the banks but no canopy
    Last edited by TriGuy; 01-15-2019 at 07:58 PM.

That's a neat rig. I love to fly fish unfortunately trout are rare around here so I have to settle for largemouth.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    That's a neat rig. I love to fly fish unfortunately trout are rare around here so I have to settle for largemouth.

bass poppers work well with fly rods

Yes this is similar to what I use.

https://www.orvis.com/p/bass-popper/...0aAjGuEALw_wcB
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post

Same here.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190115_193644r.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	36782