Thread: A note from Sen Toomey

A note from Sen Toomey

...who is highly regarded by me and the majority of Pennsylvanians. This was in response to an email I sent him regarding trump and his actions:
    January 11, 2019

Dear David,
    Thank you for contacting me about the Trump Administration. I appreciate hearing from you.
    Since President Donald Trump's inauguration, I have heard from a number of Pennsylvanians both in support of and opposition to the administration. In a state as large and diverse as ours, I understand there being a wide array of opinions on the administration's policies and actions. I appreciate you taking the time to share yours.
    As a member of the United States Senate, my goal is to advance an agenda that benefits Pennsylvanians and the American people to the greatest extent possible. One of my highest priorities since coming to the Senate has been restoring fiscal responsibility to Washington and reining in our nation's unsustainable deficits and spending. My focus has also included finding ways to create jobs, boost wages, cut excessive regulations on small businesses, bolster our national security, and support our law enforcement officials. Since my first campaign for public office, I've made clear I will work with anyone - Democrats, Republicans, the President, and private citizens - who share these goals.
    I am glad that the 115th Congress worked closely with President Trump and his administration to bring about the most historic reform to our tax code in over three decades. The vast majority of lower and middle-income taxpayers will pay less in federal taxes beginning in 2018 because of lower individual rates, in addition to a doubled standard deduction and child tax credit. The bill also reformed our outdated and uncompetitive business tax code, thus enabling American workers and businesses to compete globally, encouraging a surge in economic growth, and creating better paying jobs.
    As the case of tax reform illustrates, I will partner with the President when our interests and views align. Of course, there are times we disagree. As I made clear during the 2016 campaign, I will speak out publicly on those matters, too.
    For example, as someone who recognizes that tariffs are harmful taxes on American consumers, I have been critical of many of the President's trade actions. When some officials in the administration threatened to unilaterally withdraw our country from NAFTA in order to pressure Congress into approving a protectionist NAFTA 2.0, I spoke up publicly in opposition. Unilateral executive withdrawal would amount to the president creating new law, which the President can no more do than he could repeal Obamacare by himself. I have strongly urged my colleagues to employ all legislative means necessary to block such an action if it occurred.
    I also find it troubling that President Trump has not condemned more forcefully Vladimir Putin's hostile actions against the United States and our allies, especially in regards to Russian meddling in the 2016 elections. I have said so publicly and continue to support legislative actions that will decisively push back against Russia.
    I have also heard from many Pennsylvanians concerned with the nature of some of the President's rhetoric and use of social media. I believe that the use of intentionally demeaning speech to criticize individuals is an inappropriate and ineffective way to engage in political discourse, whether it comes from protestors, journalists, or the President of the United States. As someone who came to Washington to tackle the serious issues facing our nation, I understand your frustration with the use of such language.
    I hope that this letter gives you a better understanding of how I continue to work on policies and practices that will benefit all Pennsylvanians. Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts on the Trump Administration. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if I can be of assistance.
    Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania
    I should add that after a number of communications I believe this one was written by Sen Toomey and not an aid.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-14-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I like the way he talks...I have not followed his actions before, but I hope he walks the walk also......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Sounds to me he is like a bunch of us that support most of the Presidents policies but don't like his fat mouth.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Sounds to me he is like a bunch of us that support most of the Presidents policies but don't like his fat mouth.
    Agreed!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    The last time I said that you told me I was on drugs! What ya got? Anything good?
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I like the way he talks...I have not followed his actions before, but I hope he walks the walk also......Ben
    He does Ben, he seems to be a man of integrity. A trait that seems not to be as common as it once was and surely not contagious around that town.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    He does Ben, he seems to be a man of integrity. A trait that seems not to be as common as it once was and surely not contagious around that town.
    AMEN!
    This is your mind on drugs!