Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Worst Scope Bite in History

Back to the Model 99.

Savage made many visible changes over the years and significant not so visible changes. One not so visible is the rate of twist. My 250-3000 is a 1 in 14 ROT.

I always play with different loads for different applications. I wanted to develop loads using heavier bullets than are commercially available. Long story short, I couldn't even get on target with those loads; I was mystified.

Eventually I moved the target from 100 yards to 25. At that range I hit the paper and solved the mystery. I could see the problem, the target had odd shaped holes, one of which looked like a perfect profile of the bullet. The slow twist was not able to stabilize the heavier bullets. I backed down to lighter bullets and life was good. Latter production guns had faster ROT.

As a side note, my grandson who is 12, used this gun for his first time this year. I got to hear my son give him the same talk about caring for the gun that my son and his uncles had been given. I think it was word for word!
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-02-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    It means my tablet inserted the wrong word, obviously it should read production.
    I knew that.
    This is your mind on drugs!

So why did you ask?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I was thinking you'd get the hint from the smily shaking his head but you took it literally, as in "uhuh" and why wouldn't you? I didn't know that, I didn't take the time to look at the post and think about mis-spelled words. Since I know zip about guns I went straight to I wonder what that means.
    Last edited by mgrist; 01-03-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    This is your mind on drugs!