Thread: Ship Wrecked in Galveston in 1527

Ship Wrecked in Galveston in 1527

Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca (1490-1560) was second in command of an expedition led by Pánfilo de Narváez (1478-1528) that left Spain in June 1527 with five ships and 600 men with the mission of establishing a colony in “Florida.” The expedition suffered storms, desertions, disease, and other difficulties in the Caribbean. On November 5 and 6, 1528, 80 surviving members of the expedition were shipwrecked on or near Galveston Island, Texas. After living among the local Native Americans for six years, Cabeza de Vaca and three other survivors headed south and then west, hoping to re-establish contact with their countrymen. They eventually made it to Mexico City, becoming the first Europeans to explore what are now Texas and the American Southwest. La Relación (Report), or what came to be called Naufragios (Shipwrecked), is Cabeza da Vaca’s official account of his travels, prepared for the Spanish crown. The work was first published in Zamora, Spain, in 1542. This later edition was published in Madrid in 1749.
    https://www.wdl.org/en/item/162/#add...genous+peoples

Seems like the Spanish got along well with the natives when they didn't have a fleet of ships full of warriors behind them. Stuff like this makes one think about the savages that were slaughtered when the white man settled the west. So it has been through out history I suppose.

I was actually reading about Russia, got lost following links. I say that just to show that WDL.org which is files saved in the Library of Congress has about anything you want to know as far as history is concerned, and there are no opinions just facts. I used to read something every night, lately not so much. The way it's set up you don't feel like you have to read an entire history of a people to learn something.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Thanks Mike...I did not know of this source before...Bookmarked now......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...