Thread: Is Trump a Nixon or a Clinton?

Is Trump a Nixon or a Clinton?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...y-view-the-day

The answer depends on which of two competing paradigms for presidential wrongdoing the Cohen payoffs ultimately fall into.

For Trump’s critics, the paradigm is Watergate. While running for office, they will say, Trump knowingly directed a secret violation of campaign-finance laws. Then Trump and Cohen covered up their crimes by lying about the payments to adult film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal and how they were structured and delivered.

For Trump’s defenders — including Trump — the paradigm is the Monica Lewinsky affair. Like President Bill Clinton, they will say, Trump engaged in sexual conduct that he wanted to keep secret. Like Clinton, runs the argument, Trump engaged in some mildly shady but understandable conduct to cover his tracks. An out-of-control special prosecutor tried to make the molehill into a mountain, but in essence, as Trump told Reuters, he “hasn’t done anything wrong.”

Which paradigm is closer to the truth? There are meaningful points of similarity in each.
    I would suggest reading the rest of the opinion to see where one stands.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

For me, the issue isn't whether Trump is more like Nixon or Clinton. It's about if the three lied to the American public (or their official reps). Nixon and Clinton lied. If Trump lied, he should be of out office as well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

So has it officially been determined that Trump did have an afair with Stormy, or was the payoff just an extortion payment to keep a false accusation from surfacing? Remember, Justice Kavanaugh had several women come out and say false things about him that were determined in 2 cases to be lies and the thirs is borderline lie as nothing can be verified?

Hard to believe anything anymore as the truth is shrouded in so much smoke that it could go either way depending on which way the wind is blowing and where one is standing.

I would also point out that Congress has a "slush fund" paid for with taxpayer dollars, to pay for these types of things. I do not see why more people are concerned about taxpayer dollars being used as opposed to Trump using his own money.

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    For me, the issue isn't whether Trump is more like Nixon or Clinton. It's about if the three lied to the American public (or their official reps). Nixon and Clinton lied. If Trump lied, he should be of out office as well.

Hunter
    Just for the record as I'm sure you're aware Clinton was never taken out of office
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Full disclosure, I was fully against all of te Clinton- Lewinsky nonsense from the beginning. WHat he and her did is between them and her thighness and means nothing to the American people. I did find it a bit odd that somebody would save a dress that had been soaked with body fluids from a sex act. The whole thing seemed like a setup to me and I immediately grew tired of all of the hoopla over the stupid ordeal.

You would think that the morons in DC, if they could do enough work to find out if Billy was getting his flute tuned, could also do their job like the Constitution tells them to do.

If the new rules consisted of throwing out any politician for lying, DC would be a ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    If the new rules consisted of throwing out any politician for lying, DC would be a ghost town.
    and that would be a bad thing?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Hell no, I welcome it. Sure make the American people much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    It would be fine - Trump would be grandfathered.............
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post

I would also point out that Congress has a "slush fund" paid for with taxpayer dollars, to pay for these types of things. I do not see why more people are concerned about taxpayer dollars being used as opposed to Trump using his own money.
    That just amazes me! Everyone of them is in on it, knows about it, is apparently okay with it and then they want to "gasp" and stick their nose in the air at Trump. Clinton got a blowjob in the oval office but that was okay. What is worse is that we allow it! If we don't hold our elected officials to a higher standard they sure aren't going to do it on their own, two faced bastards!
    This is your mind on drugs!

Sad thing is the only way to get into office is to lie. That is how low our system has sunk. I can not think of a more lying group than the Clinton machine, they have been doing it for decades and still are considered the party elite. They are the reason we now have Trump in the WH, probably the only reason. People and the media make it worse by piling on and the next group of Dems on the stage have even worse records than that. We need a complete system overhaul, possibly done by force and not in a kind way. The whole thing is rife with corruption and lying.