Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions regarding

Any opinions regarding

...the out going Republican legislature power grab moves being made in Wisconsin and Michigan?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

In my opinion it will be bitterly remembered at the next power shift, and the only ones who will suffer are us......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I agree. I also think it clearly demonstrates the isolationist mentality that can build as a result of extensive gerrymandering.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Think it's time to abolish the electoral college among other things. More people voted for the other candidate the the current guy.

As to gerrymandering it shows that if you can carve up a state and stick one group in power they can maintain it even when the rest of the state is of a different group.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yo Fred, Why would anyone want the President elected from San Fran, Chicago, New York [city] and other population heavy areas rather than the entire country ?.

That flies in the face of your second line which is in effect allowing a few areas to decide the election. Popular vote is in effect gerrymandering.

Popular vote is in effect gerrymandering.
    Explain please.

the triumph of reason over tradition, and liberty over tyranny.
    That was the mantra of one side of the Spanish civil war or was it the French revolution? I've ruined the punch line already. I'm wondering what the punchlines are going to be when turmoil becomes commonplace here? All I see with the division we have here is a big brick wall. We've got ten people here that post and we can agree on nothing and we're the civilized ones, so to speak. This farce we have as a government isn't going to fix itself. Our voting the right people in HA! Look who ran the last election, I see smoke in the distance.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Dave, I'm not educated enough to post items from other sites but, if you go here, you will see the vote by county. popular vote by county graphic
    Now, hillary won the popular vote by 2.5 Mil votes however, the majority of the Country + - 80% rejected her. So , in effect if the electoral college
    were abolished, that small area would elect the President. That would have the effect of " gerrymandering " so as to give the Dem. party control.
    The votes of the entire of the middle of the Country with the exception of major population centers would be useless since the population numbers
    are so skewed

I'm sorry but I cannot connect gerrymandering to what you are selling.

While gerrymandering is the deliberate drawing of political districts to [ hopefully ] get a certain demographic voting bloc. To do away with the Electoral vote, while NOT being a deliberate political move to control an election, would have the same effect.

20% of the Country would control the election. Those population centers have shown by past performance that they are blue. There is no way that the rest of the Country can overcome the numbers. Unless of course every person eligible to vote would do so.

But another fact is, that 30 % of eligible voters DO NOT VOTE. Sad state of affairs, but true. KEEP THE COLLEGE.

20% of the Country would control the election.
    You will have to explain that one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I'm guessing he is saying 20% of the land area would control the country. Nothing but a guess and I apologize if I'm wrong..........
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Lots of folks would love the idea of having the west coast and the northeast elect every president. After all the deplorables in the rest of the country are not enlightened enough to make such a big decision. I wish I were kidding, but I am not. Remember that every time you hear a left winger attack the electorial college.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    If you'll follow through you'll see that (I think) he is talking land mass, yes I know Dave, not relevant since most of the people live in just 20% of the country.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Could we try to get this one back on topic and if there is interest start another on the electoral college?