Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen Mattis to "retire"

Gen Mattis to "retire"

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    I retired after so many years doing the same thing, so maybe he was tired.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

The nation is losing a great asset in General Mattis.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    The nation is losing a great asset in General Mattis.

Hunter
    I am seriously concerned for the country.

There will not be the equal of Gen, Mattis willing to stand up.

trump is now doing serious damage to the country.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Trump has been doing serious damage to the country for quite a while now. Mattis is only the most current casualty.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Gen. McChrystal

"The kind of leadership that causes a dedicated patriot like Jim Mattis to leave should give pause to every American."

I just wrote my only "working" Senator---Pat Toomey.

There will be more letters asking my legislators to put a stop to this madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Trump has been doing serious damage to the country for quite a while now. Mattis is only the most current casualty.
    I agree 100%
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don't disagree with that and would have been more accurate about my feelings if I had presented it as ramping down to a new level

He's against pulling troops from Syria and was completely ignored in the decision.

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndthyme View Post
    He's against pulling troops from Syria and was completely ignored in the decision.
    It goes far beyond that---this was only the trigger. I'd invite everyone to read his resignation letter---it says much.

I think more is being read into it than it really is. Of course it is Trump, so the effect is times 10. Mattis actually retired and stepped down under Obama as well for just about the same reason and we never went off on a tangent about the sky falling then. People are so tired of the constant barrage coming from the pundits and the media, that this may have been a bigger deal than it is playing out to be, but we are deaf to the drumbeats from the media.

The blunt 66-year-old, nicknamed “Mad Dog” and “Warrior Monk,” most recently served as the head of the U.S. Central Command under President Barack Obama. He retired from that post in 2013, about five months before his service was through, which some speculated was the result of his disagreements with Obama on the president’s policy in the Middle East, specifically his nuclear pact with Iran. Mattis has spoken frequently about Iran and the danger it poses. He once said Iran is “the single most enduring threat to stability and peace in the Middle East.”
    Mattis’ most recent rebuke of Obama’s “policy of disengagement in the Middle East” came at a Congressional hearing in 2015, when he told lawmakers the U.S. must “come out from our reactive crouch and take a firm, strategic stance in defense of our values.” And though he has expressed his disapproval of the Iran deal, he is not in favor of withdrawing from the commitment, and thinks the best path forward is cooperating with American allies.
    https://www.lawstreetmedia.com/blogs...-james-mattis/

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    I think more is being read into it than it really is. Of course it is Trump, so the effect is times 10. Mattis actually retired and stepped down under Obama as well for just about the same reason and we never went off on a tangent about the sky falling then. People are so tired of the constant barrage coming from the pundits and the media, that this may have been a bigger deal than it is playing out to be, but we are deaf to the drumbeats from the media.
    No James, there are many here who can and do think very clearly on their own without relying on the talking points from one or another politically biased source. Our concern is based on facts and realism, not blinding spin and delusion.

Mattis was in the position for two years. That is about the average for all of the holders of that position. see--- https://history.defense.gov/DOD-Hist...es-of-Defense/

His stated reasons for leaving are in most cases about the same as others who had made the move.

The man is in his 70s. Time to relax a bit. End result ?. Nothing to get all upset about.

I'm curious IV---did you actually read his resignation letter?

Could you equate that to any previous resignation letter from any other Sec. of Defense?