Thread: Rambling thoughts on the candidate scrutinzer

Rambling thoughts on the candidate scrutinzer

While I would never subject myself to the seemingly mean spirited scrutiny of political candidates I think it unfair to point all accountability toward the press.
    Not only is it unfair, to do so will not aid any effort to change the current environment.

The press is not without blame--that said, let's look at other "players" in this game. The first of which is the other candidates and the almost universal "marketing" campaigns that are all based on attacking the competition rather than building a case in support of the candidate. Both parties are guilty of "mining history" to find any possible flaw in the competition--be it real or supposed.

And what makes this "work"---we do---we suck these revelations up as if they are candy---we can become voyeurs in a foggy world of innuendo and questionable claims.

If we want to stop this disgusting process, we are the ones that have to do that---as long as the political machines believe they are feeding peanuts to the monkeys, we will eat only peanuts.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

But Dave, the press is how MOST people on the street get their opinions of each candidate. Some base their opinions on what their favorite actor or musician says, which most of them get their opinions from the press. EVen more get their ideas from their favorite gossip show, like the View or Ellen, which again get their views from the press.

This is why it is so important for the press to remain neutral and ask all sides the hard questions, not softball lobs so that their favorite does not look bad and the one they are against gets the BS questions about things that do not pertain to the job.

The MSM has the most power out of all of the agencies in our Country, to investigate and probe all of the nooks and crannies of the candidate, simply because of the sheer numbers of reporters and investigators. SInce they have that much investigative power and can reach so many people, we should demand that they be more concise and report facts and not agendas.

Do an experiment and see if what the "liberal" media reports is not parroted by the masses, word for word. Then see is the other side does the same and check and see who has formed an opinion as to how their opinions were formed. See who does their homework and looks behind the curtain for more answers to the problem.

I always got a kick out of Jesse Waters of FOX, who goes to different places and asks college students, people on the street, etc, about a particular issue. The answers will amaze you, many of our "educated" college folks, haven't got a clue, they are just repeating what the media has said and the blog they follow has told them to think. It is truly scary.

Tex says;
    Do an experiment and see if what the "liberal" media reports is not parroted by the masses, word for word. Then see is the other side does the same and check and see who has formed an opinion as to how their opinions were formed. See who does their homework and looks behind the curtain for more answers to the problem.
    ================================================== ================================================== ===================
    How in the world is anybody going to carry out that task?

Tex says;
    I always got a kick out of Jesse Waters of FOX, who goes to different places and asks college students, people on the street, etc, about a particular issue. The answers will amaze you, many of our "educated" college folks, haven't got a clue, they are just repeating what the media has said and the blog they follow has told them to think. It is truly scary.
    ================================================== ================================================== =====================
    Yea I've seen a few of them, the knowledge of our youth is scary. Having at this point three kids in college.....I've no idea what my middle daughters politics are but shes going for her PHD in psyology so she's crazy anyway. My youngest daughter who will have her Doctorate in Nursing at the end of the year apes what ever her mother says. My son is logical and questions everything but never gets an answer. "Where do you go to find out the truth dad? READ! Don't believe any one person on anything, that includes me and your mom! I don't know what else to tell him. The girls as smart as they are....I see why we have the government we have.
    Last edited by mgrist; 12-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Campaign ads are transmitted by the media but they are not created by the media. That is a big part of where the "dirt" is coming from.

I am not talking about the ads, I am referring to the pundits who seem to think that they know it all. They show one side, their side, and never have time for somebody who disagrees with their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    Tex says;
    ================================================== ================================================== ===================
    How in the world is anybody going to carry out that task?

Tex says;
    ================================================== ================================================== =====================
    Yea I've seen a few of them, the knowledge of our youth is scary. Having at this point three kids in college.....I've no idea what my middle daughters politics are but shes going for her PHD in psyology so she's crazy anyway. My youngest daughter who will have her Doctorate in Nursing at the end of the year apes what ever her mother says. My son is logical and questions everything but never gets an answer. "Where do you go to find out the truth dad? READ! Don't believe any one person on anything, that includes me and your mom! I don't know what else to tell him. The girls as smart as they are....I see why we have the government we have.
    Ben could you help him learn how to do quotes
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Ben could you help him learn how to do quotes
    I just keep pushing buttons until it looks right...Sometimes it takes a while......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I know how Honda, either a setting on my computer or a setting from the site won't allow me to. I can't do Bold, Italics, underline etc... nothing
    I'm trying quote on this message now

SOB!! Now it works

I have to do it manually as I did above, nothing in the bar works

The first of which is the other candidates and the almost universal "marketing" campaigns that are all based on attacking the competition rather than building a case in support of the candidate. Both parties are guilty of "mining history" to find any possible flaw in the competition--be it real or supposed.

And what makes this "work"---we do---we suck these revelations up as if they are candy---we can become voyeurs in a foggy world of innuendo and questionable claims.

If we want to stop this disgusting process, we are the ones that have to do that---as long as the political machines believe they are feeding peanuts to the monkeys, we will eat only peanuts.
    Tex, What or who is a pundit? Sounds like Dave is ready to get rid of them, sounds like we all are. We keep passing up these opportunities to work together, why? because we're still sucking up the candy. Who's going to start?

Pundits would be those who think they are experts in the subject they are discussing. Look at just about everybody in the MSM and you could define them as pundits.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    I have to do it manually as I did above, nothing in the bar works
    That explains a lot, Mike...You should stay out of the bars when posting......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    Pundits would be those who think they are experts in the subject they are discussing. Look at just about everybody in the MSM and you could define them as pundits.
    So then are you a pundit of all things Trump?
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That explains a lot, Mike...You should stay out of the bars when posting......Ben
    It's free wifi!

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    But Dave, the press is how MOST people on the street get their opinions of each candidate. Some base their opinions on what their favorite actor or musician says, which most of them get their opinions from the press. EVen more get their ideas from their favorite gossip show, like the View or Ellen, which again get their views from the press.

This is why it is so important for the press to remain neutral and ask all sides the hard questions, not softball lobs so that their favorite does not look bad and the one they are against gets the BS questions about things that do not pertain to the job.

The MSM has the most power out of all of the agencies in our Country, to investigate and probe all of the nooks and crannies of the candidate, simply because of the sheer numbers of reporters and investigators. SInce they have that much investigative power and can reach so many people, we should demand that they be more concise and report facts and not agendas.

Where do you get your opinions from?

I talk to people all day long, and as I get to travel to different places on a daily basis, I don't just talk with the same few people every day. I also watch some TV, listen to the radio and of course online.

The main place I form my opinions from is from what I experience every single day. What things affect me personally and what affects my family and friends.