Thread: Looks like Alaska may have dodged a bullet

Looks like Alaska may have dodged a bullet

Looks like they got a big one today around 7 magnitude but from what I'm hearing there has been no loss of life so far I'm sure as the days go on the damage will pile up but it seems to be amazing that no more are injured in other words also I guess it's a blessing that it has happened before it is gotten bitterly cold up there
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

My daughter in law has a sister that lives right outside of Wasilla. Just so happens her husband is down here visiting them and is not able to get back there. She has said that the family is okay, but the house has sustained some damage. The road running close to their house has been in all of the papers called Vine road. She did send one pic of the fireplace that collapsed on the roof of their home, but everyone of their family is okay and safe.

I have been speaking with a buddy that lives nd works on the other side of the bay from the epicenter here is his decription of the ride from another board.

"So yeah, this was pretty sucky. Like many people, I was at work when it hit, and it hit hard. There was no question get under a desk or something immediately. Under the desk and **** was flying around the office and falling all over the place. Felt like the ground was moving mostly laterally back and forth, but big movements and no way you'd be able to walk. Felt like the building was about to tear apart. It was definitely a "holy ****, this is it!" movement. The ground up here is all glacial silt and it's the worst possible surface to be on, it just turns to jello with a bunch of movement. There is a term called "liquification" that seismologists use to describe it.

The aftershocks were bad, like every 5 minutes or so for several hours, they were still going on when I thought I'd just get on my fatbike and go tour the city and see what I could see. At least I probably wouldn't be able to feel the aftershocks on fat tires! "
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"