Thread: A look at imigration through a different and less biased lens

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A look at imigration through a different and less biased lens

Here is the reality of where we are today----and how the shortage of workers can and will impact our economy.

The root article, which is much longer and more detailed, was pulled by dimbart from the WSJ---I picked dimbart to avoid the normal outburst about east coast liberal media.

Now---more to the issue----the people needed to fill this pool of labor for Foxconn are not marching along the road somewhere in Mexico----but this same shortage exists across the country in a long list of occupations----including, as I mentioned in another thread, crab pickers. That in-turn, shutdown packing houses and killed the market for the Chesapeake crabbers---they had a much diminished market. That problem was a direct result of a reduction in work visas this year----now I ask---who does that hurt?

Back to Foxconn---which will generate a long list of secondary businesses and with them a broad range of labor needs---from skilled to unskilled----where are they going to come from in the current environment of hate and fear?

So---here is my question: We are spending all our attention and dialog on closing the borders with walls and soldiers-----what are we doing to satisfy our very real economic demands and their ancillary labor demands?

Added in edit:

This just put up on the WSJ:

Updated Nov. 6, 2018 2:33 p.m. ET
    Unfilled jobs in the U.S. exceeded the number of unemployed Americans by more than one million as the summer came to a close, a sign it is increasingly difficult for employers to find workers.

There were a seasonally adjusted 7.01 million job openings on the last business day of September, the Labor Department said Tuesday. That compares with 5.96 million jobless Americans actively looking for work during the month that the unemployment rate fell to a 49-year low of 3.7%.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 11-06-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis