Thread: Range time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Range time

I have been making the trip to a free range [ State run ] every couple of weeks. 60 mile round trip to fire 25 or 30 Rds. Today, I stopped at the only indoor range in the area thinking I'd spend a half hour.

Upon asking, I was informed that it would be $ 20.00 for the day. I stated I was only going to be there for one half hour. The reply; $ 20.00 no matter how long you stay.

The 60 mile round trip doesn't look so bad after all.

I supposed you've factored in 60 miles worth of wear on your vehicle and fuel, plus whatever your time is worth in driving...And before you tell me you're retired and working for free, I'll add that NOTHING is free; SOMEONE always pays, and in this case it's you as you lose the time you could have spent doing something else besides driving......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

While you are most likely correct in that the driving and time spent may be worth more than the $ 20.00 . It just angers me that there is no middle ground at that range.
    It's just sitting there used or not. Were I a business person, $ 5.00 for a half hour as opposed to $ 0.00 for the day, seams like a good deal. If they were to offer a deal like that, I'll wager that there would be enough shooters that they would make money on the lunch time crowd .

In any event. They will not be getting any of my money for future purchases, ammo, guns or range time.

Everyone is entitled to make his own decision, IV, both you and the owner of the indoor range...If your time is worth that little to you then the state owned range is probably your better choice...I doubt that the no-charge range is indoors and out of the weather though...It also may not be climate controlled with electric target retrieval, or lights for night shooting...It may not be open the same hours as the indoor range either...If a shooter has a problem with a gun, there also may not be a range safety officer to call to attention, or an on-staff gunsmith to see to the problem...But at least they're not charging you to be there once you drive 60 miles, so there is that...

The owner of the indoor range has his priorities also, chief among which is making enough profit to keep the doors open...He may have decided that an all-day fee of $20.00 is the best way, but when I operated my own range, I was amenable to cutting a break for a regular who just wanted to fire off a few rounds, and I would probably have taken your offer of $5.00 for an hour if space on the range was available...If $20 shooters were waiting for an open stall, I might have asked you to come back at a less busy time...But it's the business owner's prerogative as to how structured he wants his policies...Some ranges even charge per gun; I never did that...

The one most consistent thing I learned in business is that there's no way to please everyone......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Jesus $20 for all day my gosh it cost $14 an hour here for a nice Indoor Range. Second Shooters half price so that works out to $21 an hour for me and my wife. Man that's a deal at $20 even if you just shoot an hour. I guess it's all depends on where you are.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Makes me glad I have a range at my house. 20 foot across the driveway and I can set my ammo and shooting irons on the table I have built out there while I go hang up my targets. Sorry Ben it is not automated so you have to take the staple gun and put your own targets up and retrieve them, but I will find some way to bear that cross.