Thread: Politics

Politics

I sent an email to one of my legislative folks with whom I communicate regularly.

He is running for reelection (which I support). The purpose of my email was to object to negative campaign ads about his opponent--and to ask him to stop using them.

I was unprepared for his response:

David -

Thank you for your email. I have to email you from my personal email because I can't talk about politics on my government email.

Due to campaign finance laws, I'm not allowed to coordinate with a third party during a campaign. The third party in this case would be the Republican Party. They're free to do whatever they want.

That being said, I will "let it be known" that I don't like what's going on.

Thank you for your support.
    Disgraceful
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Vote for the other guy.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Rightwing View Post
    Vote for the other guy.
    Possibly I wasn't clear Billy---the disgraceful part is the unprincipled lowlifes that have hijacked what was once the Republican party.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm sorry Dave, I'm not sure I understand. The "third party" are they the ones putting out the ads for their "brother" in arms? Meaning the guy that is running for office has no say on what his ads say? Is that a state law or federal?
    This is your mind on drugs!

The ads are being put out by the Republican Party (more accurately a PAC controlled by the Republican Party), which is "empowered" to do so by a SCOTUS ruling and he can not interact with the PAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Possibly I wasn't clear Billy---the disgraceful part is the unprincipled lowlifes that have hijacked what was once the Republican party.
    Unfortunately the Republicans have had to modify their behavior to deal with the unprincipled low lifes known as the Democrats.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Unfortunately the Republicans have had to modify their behavior to deal with the unprincipled low lifes known as the Democrats.
    I hadn't thought about it like that before now, thinking in my naive that the high road would be the road one would fight for. That road isn't used much anymore though, and it's hard to defend.
    This is your mind on drugs!