Thread: Soyuz rocket failure

Soyuz rocket failure

In what might be the first case that I can recall it seems that the Soyuz rocket that was taking off to the ISS today with two people on board failed shortly after launch and the capsule was sent on a balastic recovery course instead of into space. It looks like everyone landed safely and the abort during launch procedures actually worked as designed.

https://www.space.com/...edition-57-crew.html

Thats sure to make what should have been an exciting event even more so.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    At least there alive and that's better than a couple our flights didn't go that well.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Do we get our 70 million dollars back or is the next ride free?

Yes I thought that was incredible that they were able to get back. Great technology. The rocket itself not so great..............
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Details are still sketchy but it looks like it happened right after the boosters (they call them the "first stage") were dropped, and right after the escape tower was jettisoned. Which could make it a booster separation problem. That would make for a very busy minute or so as the Soyuz was detached, the rest of the fairings were ejected, the orbital module and service module were detached and the capsule reoriented for re-entry. Fortunately everyone was OK.

It also means that we have no way to get to the ISS for now, since they've shut down operations to investigate. Both Boeing and SpaceX are about a year away from their first manned flight. (SpaceX is now saying April 19th 2019, but their schedules have a way of slipping.)

I read an interview in the paper today that was completed with the American astronaut. He really seemed to appreciate his survival of the accident.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I read an interview in the paper today that was completed with the American astronaut. He really seemed to appreciate his survival of the accident.

Hunter
    It just means that men of science can accomplish wonders together when politics and ideologies are put aside......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Yeah, I'll take science over politics any day.... Politics would have killed them while they bickered over the cost of the launch.

I don't look forward to many movies but am planning to go the theater (first time since ET) to see First Man... After I watch The Right Stuff again. I grew up with an aeronautical engineer as a father in Florida. I remember going to Vero Beach to watch the Apollo launches.

Hey I never miss seeing the movie Apollo 13 whenever it comes on. What they did to get those guys home was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    Hey I never miss seeing the movie Apollo 13 whenever it comes on. What they did to get those guys home was amazing.
    What they did to get them away from home was amazing!

How can Racism and Hate be so unreachable, peace so far away?
    This is your mind on drugs!

So it is looking more and more like either a collision between a booster and the core after separation, or an incomplete separation by one of the boosters.

It will be interesting to see if this pushes the Boeing and/or SpaceX systems to run their test flights and/or first manned flights sooner. The SpaceX Dragon unmanned test flight is scheduled to leave for the ISS on Jan 2019, and the "max Q abort" test is scheduled for May, with the first manned flight being June. Not sure of the Boeing schedule.

Come to think of it, if the unmanned test flight successfully docks at the station, it might become the new "escape vehicle" if the Soyuz currently on-station times out.