Thread: Mass Murder of Blacks in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Mass Murder of Blacks in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Here is a news story of a mass murder in Tulsa that took place in 1921. I've never heard of this particular atrocity, nor of any other of such a magnitude. Over 300 black men, women and children were murdered. Whites even used airplanes to bomb the black neighborhood!

News Video

A quick google search turned up a lot more info. Including a manuscript by eyewitnesses now in the Smithsonian Give it a shot if you are interested in the insanity of some of our very recent ancestors.

[added on edit] From the Smithsonian manuscript:

More than 35 blocks were destroyed, along with more than 1,200 homes, and some 300 people died, mostly blacks. The National Guard was called out after the governor declared martial law, and imprisoned all blacks that were not already in jail. More than 6,000 people were held, according to the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum, some for as long as eight days.
    Damn!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Ben,

In total, less than 10 blacks were killed in the three incidents you listed. Of course, that's still too many but in Tulsa, over 300 men, women and children were massacred and 1200 houses burned. The sheer magnitude was what surprised me.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This makes me think of when the city of Philadelphia bombed their own people----burning down an entire block and killing 5 kids
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wow, guess thats what happens when the law is just bypassed and mob rule takes over. The hatred that some people have within them, never ceases to amaze me.

Dave
    I remember that. I couldn't believe they were that stupid at the time. It's still hard to believe.
    Damn!

Shoot, were we even done killing all of the Indians when that happened? We are a nasty bunch that's for sure, that's what our eastern European ancestors (parents/grandparents) had been doing for hundreds of years. When Spain,Portugal, Britain, France ect... had to start giving back countries in the twentieth century it wasn't because they were given to us it's because we took them. We, out ancestors decimated Africa, Cuba, The Caribbean islands, any land that was near the equator that would grow sugarcane basically. The ancestry of those lands is African to this day we didn't leave many natives around to argue. This is all obviously a quick very simple synopsis, just emphasizing on the nasty bunch statement. Depending on how one looks at things you can add Vietnam, Korea, Iraq? Seems like we're always killing people, justifiably of course.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    This makes me think of when the city of Philadelphia bombed their own people----burning down an entire block and killing 5 kids
    Yea I remember it also. How about Ruby Ridge, Waco? where do we stop.

I remember growing up in Miami Fl. with a very racist dad and I remember him always cheering when the police would go into Liberty City shooting and burning. It happened a lot but I doubt you'll find much to read on it. Makes me wonder about the thousands of other black city's around the country.