Thread: I went up in a Stunt Biplane today

I went up in a Stunt Biplane today

1929 Waco fully restored and upgraded to modern standards

So much fun!!! thank you Ferdinand for taking me up. We did rolls, loops, and Hammerhead stalls out over the delta. I even got to fly the aircraft for a bit at 4500'. kick in the pants ride.

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Very cool---the sound of a radial engine makes me do dumb stuff
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Part of the preflight was parachute ground school. I thought of Bo at that point. Interesting putting on the parachute (no reserve or auto deploy) and practicing getting in and out of the aircraft in an emergency (essentially you are fubared in the front seat).
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Nice... You had a chute, you should have jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Nice... You had a chute, you should have jumped.
    Hah do you know how contorted you have to get to even try to get out of one of that cockpit then not get hit by the tail? no thanks.

Yes.. I've jumped out of a Waco and a Pitts... Both inverted...

that would make more sense. plus I think you have a thinner build than I do plus you know what the hell you are doing with a chute, i don't. I'll pass

oh and we had a Pitt one mile to our 9oclock heading out to the delta with us. He took off two planes behind us.

Hammerhead stalls will really put your gut in your throat

I'm curious what kind of bail out rig they provided. Was it a round?

Was this a friend of yours or a commercial operation?

Looking at the pics again something does not look right with your harness. It appears to have slipped off your right shoulder. Whats up with that?

Hammerhead stalls will really put your gut in your throat

I'm curious what kind of bail out rig they provided. Was it a round?

Was this a friend of yours or a commercial operation?

Looking at the pics again something does not look right with your harness. It appears to have slipped off your right shoulder. Whats up with that?
    it was a friends Plane. yeah the chute harness (blue) shifted up and the seatbelt out to the side (brown) in the hammerhead I re-adjusted all the straps right afterwards. For stunts he pulls the seat cushion and you sit on the chute. The Harness has a sternum buckle on the right side, chute release on the left and 2 leg straps. Chute had 4 control lines

it looked and fit like this

Nice friend to have...

Typical bail out rig. Probably a Mirage. Not a lot of control once under canopy but a hell of a lot better than riding a plane down to the scene of the crash.

Nice friend to have...

Typical bail out rig. Probably a Mirage. Not a lot of control once under canopy but a hell of a lot better than riding a plane down to the scene of the crash.
    You got that right. He said that the FAA requires the wearing of a chute and instructing all passengers on its use and how to exit the aircraft if you go up intending to do stunts, which we did.

Yeah, all our jump pilots are required to wear them as well since the door is going to be opened during the flight.

Would have had to pad lock me in... I hate landing in a plane
    Last edited by Phillbo; 09-03-2018 at 07:55 PM.