Thread: Rebuild Texas

Rebuild Texas

From my morning email, some may be interested in this:
    Dear David,

One year ago, we had no idea about the destruction Hurricane Harvey would leave behind in our Texas communities. As rescue boats returned and life jackets dried out, people put their heads together and got to work. The Rebuild Texas Fund launched while the rain was still falling in Houston with an ambitious goal: to channel the incredible outpouring of generosity from around the country and provide the resources and energy to quickly get our neighbors in need on the path back to normalcy.

It has been an extraordinary year. Thanks to you, we raised $100 million to support impacted communities and families. Today, $50.7 million is already at work helping to repair and rebuild homes and schools, re-open small businesses, and revitalize affected communities.

Today, we are pleased to share this 12-Month Progress Report about the difference your generosity is making for thousands of Texas families.

We are honored by your generosity and grateful to you and each one of the donors, volunteers, organizations, and stakeholders we’ve had the privilege to work with over the past year. We are inspired and motivated by the tenacity and perseverance of impacted families, business owners, and community leaders. And we look forward to working alongside communities as they continue their rebuilding efforts.

Thank you again for your support. We look forward to continuing our work together in the coming year.

With thanks,

Rebuild Texas Fund team
    The progress report contains a lot of interesting data.

I have to give this foundation (of Michael and Susan Dell) credit---simply for their follow-up with donors, I gave equal amounts to another relief organization last year in FL and PR---I never heard a thing from them--which is typical, I'm sad to say. That organization is Direct Relief. I will cut them some slack since they have virtually 100% pass through.

I hope we have a more calm year in 2018. My records show that the dates of those three donations were 9/2, 9/12, 9/27----obviously September was not a good month!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Thank you for your generosity, Dave.

I was just trying to get even with Michael Dell

He made a matching offer, as I recall he added $0.50 for every dollar people donated. Since he has a whole lot of my money (all of my computers are Dell--and have been for years) I regarded it as an opportunity to get some of that back----which encouraged me to be generous.

The down side is that when FL got hit I felt obligated to match the donation for Tx----and then when PR happened I could do nothing less

I just hope it helped those in need
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I was hoping that some would comment on the attached report as well as give us their own thoughts about the recovery.

Here is something I found that pertains to what you were looking for. I find that the big name news carriers leave after the "excitement" of the headline story has passed. Obviously there are still some problems and people are still experiencing hard times in certain areas. I have some nieces living in Port Lavaca that seem to be doing better and they have not said anything about this. One of my sons who works for TXDOT was involved in the removal of debris for several months, his district's crews shared different schedules with other districts, in rotating for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, down there right after the hurricanes. They have not been back for many months.

Rebuilding takes a lot of time, I realize that but this is a year later and people still are suffering.
    ROCKPORT, Texas -- A thrift store set up in Rockport after Hurricane Harvey has been a lifeline for many of the people still without a home.

“It’s been a struggle, but the Lord has really provided, giving us people in the community helping,” Donna Vest, a survivor, said. “Everybody’s pulled together.”
    The Austin Disaster Relief Network sent in donations after the hurricane, teaming up with other churches to get resources out into the communities. Vest was searching for some clothes on Thursday for her granddaughter, who she takes care of.

“The people have helped each other here,” she said. “They don’t turn their backs and walk away. They see you. They help you. They want to do something because they’ve been through it too.”
    Anna Chupe, another survivor, has relied on the thrift store, as well as the local food pantry.

“We’re living in a teeny, tiny little shed,” Chupe said. “The three of us live there. My husband, my son and I.”
    Chupe has been able to find toiletries, cleaning products and everyday clothing items for her family.

“It wasn’t like the hurricane took the clothing, but because of the water, everything was molded,” she said.
    Lori Baylor, operations manager of New Beginnings Ministries, helps these families both at the thrift store and the food pantry. Baylor says the Austin Disaster Relief Network brought in steel-toed boots people could use to return to work, work clothes, bedding, pillows and other home essentials. Families over the last year have come in to shop for sometimes up to nearly 15 people.
    “To be part of their life and giving them strength and hope, it’s a blessing," Baylor said.

The thrift store will close at the end of August. Baylor says they’ll do inventory and work with nearby agencies to find where else the donations can help.
    “I know there is a future here,” she said. “We have to be patient. We’re here just to bring hope that [people] don’t give up on Rockport.”

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/n...elp/1396529418

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    .....Rebuilding takes a lot of time, I realize that but this is a year later and people still are suffering.
    Yes, it does. We are still rebuilding and will be for some time to come. Not suffering at all, we were lucky enough to have a place to live and flood insurance, even though the insurance is pennies on the dollar for the most part. I've had some folks tell me to apply for various grants, but I will not do that - we are OK, leave the grant monies for those in need. Thanks to everyone who does contribute for those who really are suffering.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Damn I remember when you cussed me out because I said that I bought homeless people shoes among other needed services. I guess my.. oh never mind. Thanks for what you've done.
    This is your mind on drugs!