Thread: Rehab is hard

Rehab is hard

not so much the effort but the patience and restraint. I was feeling good and was out breaking in some new running shoes. i got stupid and started running wind sprints before i was fully warmed up. On the 4th sprint I hear the pop then the pain in my calf...torn muscle. I was two miles from home...that walk back was really painful.

That was 6 weeks ago, at 5 weeks I was pushing a client in a wheelchair across an intersection at the county fair and a bus ignored the crossing guard and I had to push off on my bad leg to not get the two of us hit and there was another pop. OK back to step one..Walking slowly, ice, elevation and ibuprofen for the next two weeks.

Then I started using the spin bike with no resistance just working on motion and blood flow. two weeks ago I started going out on the road bike doing flat easy slow rides of 10 miles.

By the middle of last week i could do 20 miles with just twinges of pain. The last two days have been pain free and I can actually plant and pivot off the right leg. Today I went out and rode for 31 miles with some small rolling hills and felt no pain during or after the ride.

I still have to stay out of steep hill climbs on the road bike and my mt bike or trail hiking are an major no go for at least another 3 to 4 weeks no matter how bad I want to do it. I was supposed to go backpacking in the Sierras this next weekend and its killing me to not go but carrying a losd on rough trails will set me back to square one again

I am my own worst enemy. I can't sit still and it is so damn hard to throttle back and just let myself heal

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Nice bike, I'll never get used to those spoke jobs though. (-:
    This is your mind on drugs!

I went a little farther and a hair faster today

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"