Thread: The value of the internet

The value of the internet

Yes--there are some downsides but they are minuscule when compared to the benefits.

I think I might have shared one of my commonly used comparisons to demonstrate the power of the internet. That compares the time and cost to do research on the thermal characteristics of frozen soils in 1973 and today. In 1973, virtually all that data was resident at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. It had been developed in conjunction with the construction of the pipeline. To access that data I had to go to Fairbanks. I spent almost two weeks traveling, reviewing, copying and cataloging that data. Today I could do that from my office---and if I found I missed something I could simply get back on the internet and grab it.

Now, to what has brought me to this today.

From 1994 to 2001 I worked with a fantastic business leader and genuine good man. He went on to become a four term (2 years) governor of New Hampshire.
    I had a few email contacts with him during that period--including encouraging him to consider running for President---but he is far too bright for that
    Our correspondence was spotty and I know he was fully engaged in being governor and after he left office I kind of lost touch with him.

Recently I have renewed correspondence with his successor who was responsible for the exceptionally respectful way that I left Knoll International in 2003. That caused me to give thought to trying to catch up with John and I looked for an email address--which took maybe 20 seconds to find

So---after many years we are now back in contact---and I will avoid mentioning anything about running for office. I would count myself supremely lucky to have worked for either of these individuals--having worked for two is amazing.

It is always good to thank those who move us along the road of life---go find your mentors---it isn't difficult
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I can't remember the Wardens name to save my life.

Boy oh boy you haven't slept in days have you?
    This is your mind on drugs!