High Flight :John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air...
    Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
    I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark or even eagle flew --
    And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

FART....

RIP

Thank You.....What one or 2 books would you recommend above all others??

Times like this, wish it was possible to pull up a archive of some kind with his stories.....

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Anybody who has not read his memoirs might want to snag a copy while they're available...His others also...And even his pseudonym......Ben
    Fair Winds Flowing Seas......

JJ, if I were only going to buy one, it would be his Memoirs...That archive you mentioned is in that book...If you like it, then scan the other titles and descriptions and pick a topic...I haven't heard any differently, so I assume that Heidi, as his only direct descendant will let the books stay on sale...I have copies of all of them that he sent me, many of which are pre-publishing proofs that I edited for him...

This one is an interesting compilation of events as he remembered them from being a civil engineer in Vietnam...In each of his books he included visual proof that what he wrote of was the truth...His well known fixation with toilet humor was mostly confined to the obvious titles like this one...

Many of the books are written about members of his own family, who were and are unique individuals themselves...Some of the books are direct copy-and-pastes of the work of others (which he always acknowledged), some still copyright protected, some not...I always advised Dan against publishing these, and asked him to leave my name off of them...But he went his own way as usual...I have not seen an obituary for Dan, but given the inflated price of printing one in the Houston Chronicle, Heidi may not have ordered one, or may have printed it in a more reasonably priced organ...

If I hear anything new, I'll post it......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

RIP DAN...
    07HEMI4ME

A Friend Will Help You Move, But a Real Good Friend Will Help You Move a Body... He will not ask why you are digging the hole or what is in the bag.

I have read his memoirs. I don't remember for sure but it might have been the unedited version. My only complaint was, when finished, I wanted more. The man had an amazing life.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I also have Dan to thank for introducing me to the printing service he used for his books...The same company now handles my publications...Now you know who to blame......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Thanks, ordered.....

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    JJ, if I were only going to buy one, it would be his Memoirs...That archive you mentioned is in that book...If you like it, then scan the other titles and descriptions and pick a topic...I haven't heard any differently, so I assume that Heidi, as his only direct descendant will let the books stay on sale...I have copies of all of them that he sent me, many of which are pre-publishing proofs that I edited for him...

This one is an interesting compilation of events as he remembered them from being a civil engineer in Vietnam...In each of his books he included visual proof that what he wrote of was the truth...His well known fixation with toilet humor was mostly confined to the obvious titles like this one...

Many of the books are written about members of his own family, who were and are unique individuals themselves...Some of the books are direct copy-and-pastes of the work of others (which he always acknowledged), some still copyright protected, some not...I always advised Dan against publishing these, and asked him to leave my name off of them...But he went his own way as usual...I have not seen an obituary for Dan, but given the inflated price of printing one in the Houston Chronicle, Heidi may not have ordered one, or may have printed it in a more reasonably priced organ...

If I hear anything new, I'll post it......Ben

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Ben is there a link to any of your publications? A couple of Dan's funny books are laying right on the shelf in front of me.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

I just received this from Dan's sister, Sylvia...
    Hi Ben, Here's some information for you.We are having a rememberance for Dan at Marlille Cemetary in our home town of Hudson,Ohio on Aug. 24. The memorial is at 11 in the little chapel and burial is at 12. Afterwards we are going to lunch in town.
    Ron Bacon, a life long friend of Dan's wants to set up a military salute for the burial part. Anyway, at the first part
    we plan to share stories and happy memories of Dan and sing a few songs. If you want to pass the word on to
    Dan's other buddies, please do. Heidi doesn't plan to come and no one can get her to answer emails. She's a
    strange one. If you will tell the others just so t hey know, that would be great. Sylvia
    My response:
    Thanks for the update, Sylvia...I never saw any obituary for Dan anywhere, so I never knew what arrangements had been made...Then his remains will be there until then?...

I emailed Heidi after Dan's death and she responded...I've talked to her on the phone in the past when Dan was seriously ill, but I don't think it would be my place to call her now...

I'll pass the word...Thanks...
    ...Ben

Thanks for the update Ben.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Sylvia replied:
    He was cremated and his ashes are at the funeral home there in Hudson.. We have a family plot in Hudson. Our dad and mom are there. Sylvia
    ...Ben

I had looked for an obituary or death notice as well but was surprised to have not found one.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

RIP Dan....he was a helluva guy and had an interesting and unique life. Glad I got to meet him.
    Robert....... AKA Snowman
    Road King

Thanks to Mike, Dan not only had his favorite forum, The Bilge, memorialized in his honor, but his name and avatar are also honored with a memorial...He was member number 30 to join here...RIP, Dan......Ben