Thread: What does your DD214 say about you???

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace

What does your DD214 say about you???

Are you a malcontent, bed wetter, drunk, or just smell bad? It's on your DD 214.
    http://tinyurl.com/yahnx7td

I got mine out of the safe and looked...It was just stamped "Good Riddance"......Ben

EDIT: See below...
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

After posting the above frivolously (which, as many here know, is my nature), I did more research...Here is a list containing the current alpha, as well as numerical codes no longer used...Here is a PDF of the latest alpha codes which I could find in a quick search...Here is a USAF letter meant for disbursement to USAF personnel involved with issuance and handling of DD214...Note the following phrase contained in the letter:
    9.4. SPD codes do not show all the circumstances relating to a separation. For this reason,
    and because codes may be outdated, you must not use them for any unauthorized purpose.
    My DD214 contains SPD code 715 which appears nowhere on the lists I found in a quick search...I suspect it may have been discontinued early on since my separation occurred in 1969...It may have been bunched with other similar codes into the 701 designator...Lists I found jump from 701 to 741...701 is explained as:
    Enlisted separation - early release of personnel assigned to installations or units scheduled for inactivation, permanent change of station, or demobilization
    ...which corresponds to the actual conditions of my separation, commonly referred to then as "Early Out"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

A further note...The YouTube video in the original post {thanks Bob) is actually an eight-part series stretching to almost an hour and a half...For the convenience of others, I'll post all eight here:

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    If they have a code on me, just chuck it.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Apparently I failed to make an impression---mine says nuttin

I separated on 30 Apr, 65 from the Army and there are no code numbers associated with the SPN 411.

Further searching leads me to believe there just might be more (or less) to this guys claim than is being presented on these videos. Imagine that

There really is not a buggy man behind every tree Virginia
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I separated on 30 Apr, 65 from the Army and there are no code numbers associated with the SPN 411.
    Apparently similar to 701......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Apparently similar to 701......Ben
    I see says the blind man---and that would be me

I made a deal with the devil to go to hell so I could get out early-----and a very good deal it was
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Well what ever it is didn't keep me out of serving 2 weeks with the National Guard the following year.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I lied.......was reading the wrong thing......
    Last edited by Dork; 04-19-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Well what ever it is didn't keep me out of serving 2 weeks with the National Guard the following year.
    Nor did it stop them from trying to recall me in 1967

Had it not been for me studying engineering in a university with multiple former high ranking military folks in the administration who intervened on my behalf I would have been allowed to return to hell---again

The same day I got orders a friend of mine who had been an infantry First LT (also going to the same university but studying business administration) got his orders--they could not keep him out and sadly the last I say him was the day he left

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    A further note...The YouTube video in the original post {thanks Bob) is actually an eight-part series stretching to almost an hour and a half...For the convenience of others, I'll post all eight here:

In my original post I did not refer to the rest of the videos. If someone watched the first and was interested they would watch the rest. If they were not interested they would not watch the rest of them If they made it through the first one. It really doesn't matter to us old timers because if the code for you was wrong you only have five years after separation to get it changed.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Wow I got drafted twice, first time at Fairbanks and second in Wa. So guess others got it also.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.