Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What will be the reaction to the Syrian chemical attack

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Are we positive that Assad initiated the gas attack on his own people or did someone else do it and blame Assad for it. I believe that one of the rebel groups gassed civilians early in the war and blamed Assad for it. It's difficult for me to think that he would be stupid enough to use gas with the world watching his every move.

BINGO..............

I'm hearing that Russia is moving assets out of the area.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

But are they mving them to protect them, or are they moving them to counter attack? That is the question.

Protect they are not military assets at this point most of them are transport vessels
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

What a lot of folks don't understand is that Putin would love to see Assad taken out of power by the United States. It's our assets it's our money it's our fire power. Doesn't cost him a penny to to get this guy out. Russian influence in Syria is much stronger than what we have so President Putin can easily install a puppet who can restore stability and we just may have to live with a country under pretty much Russian control but hopefully maybe not at War

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Are we positive that Assad initiated the gas attack on his own people or did someone else do it and blame Assad for it. I believe that one of the rebel groups gassed civilians early in the war and blamed Assad for it. It's difficult for me to think that he would be stupid enough to use gas with the world watching his every move.
    http://tinyurl.com/ydcy5pjo

May He Rest In Peace
    Here is Nikki Haley.

http://tinyurl.com/y9ebljl4

May He Rest In Peace

I feel like a WW1 vet in 1939

What I find fascinating is the conspiracy theorist approach to this incident. Already, insinuations are being made that this was not what it seems, that rebels gassed their own people in order to blame Assad.

Where does the willingness to believe such stuff, in the absence of evidence, come from? At Sandy Hook, Alex Jones asserted that the 22 children killed by the shooter were either not actually dead (one of his theories was that the scene was staged) or later, that the children were actually dead but had been killed by gun control advocates seeking to blame political opponents.

Conspiracy theories by their nature rely on a lack of evidence so there is no real way to refute them. I just wonder why they are so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    What a lot of folks don't understand is that Putin would love to see Assad taken out of power by the United States. It's our assets it's our money it's our fire power. Doesn't cost him a penny to to get this guy out. Russian influence in Syria is much stronger than what we have so President Putin can easily install a puppet who can restore stability and we just may have to live with a country under pretty much Russian control but hopefully maybe not at War
    This is an interesting take on the situation. If what you are saying is true, that Putin would like to see Assad out, then that could have been much more cheaply done than by getting so much Russian firepower involved. I agree that Russia has beaucoup influence in Syria and did before the civil war. If the Russians had really wanted Assad out, they could have done so years ago at much less cost than they are experiencing now. The Assad regime was a puppet regime for Russia under Bashar's father, so I don't think that it is reasonable to conclude that the Russians want to use the US to get him gone when they could have done so at any point over the last few decades.

More likely, I think, is that they view Assad as they would whomever they installed - a means to an end. I think they don't much care who runs Syria as long as they are pulling the strings.

Conspiracy theories or is it your own personal inability to think like a Syrian, to have a basic understanding of life in that region of the world, your trying to apply American thoughts, values and ideas/principles on a people who do not think like you is something you do not consider. Youve never lived there, ate with them, slept in their homes and had to be subject to life in their part of the world.

Your s spoiled rotten rich American as they see it....and can't understand how they think....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    What I find fascinating is the conspiracy theorist approach to this incident. Already, insinuations are being made that this was not what it seems, that rebels gassed their own people in order to blame Assad.

Where does the willingness to believe such stuff, in the absence of evidence, come from? At Sandy Hook, Alex Jones asserted that the 22 children killed by the shooter were either not actually dead (one of his theories was that the scene was staged) or later, that the children were actually dead but had been killed by gun control advocates seeking to blame political opponents.

Conspiracy theories by their nature rely on a lack of evidence so there is no real way to refute them. I just wonder why they are so popular.

Well, my uncle, Tom Bishara, a Syrian Christian who emigrated from Tyre, might disagree with you with respect to my lack of personal knowledge.

I am a lot closer to the boat than many people you might meet. Much of my family comes from someplace else and many relatively recently.