Thread: US really has 11 separate 'nations' with entirely different cultures

US really has 11 separate 'nations' with entirely different cultures

Interesting read!

The United States comprises several different regions, each with its own rich history and cultural identity.

Exactly where those regions start and end has been a long-running debate, but according to author Colin Woodard, the United States can be divided into 11 distinct sub-nations.

Woodard mapped out the regions in his 2012 book "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America." Some of his regions might sound familiar, like the "Deep South"; others might surprise American readers, like his "Midlands" region that stretches from New Jersey to northeastern New Mexico.

Recognizing the distinct values of each region is critical to understanding the United States, Woodard said.

"The country has been arguing about a lot of fundamental things lately, including state roles and individual liberty," Woodard, a Maine native, told Business Insider in 2015.

"In order to have any productive conversation on these issues, you need to know where you come from," he said. "Once you know where you are coming from, it will help move the conversation forward."
    The Rest of the Story
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Real interesting article and I think it is about spot on for my region. Seems like it hits close to home in some of the other areas I have been to.

Well, speaking for my region, he has characterized Yankeedom correctly.