Thread: Tickling the Tail of a Sleeping Dragon

Tickling the Tail of a Sleeping Dragon

Interesting read about the early (primitive) assembly of a nuclear bomb core. (maybe he should have used a bigger screwdriver!)

In 1946, shortly after the end of World War II, the physicist Louis Slotin stood in front of a low table at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, concentrating intensely on the object in front of him. His left thumb was hooked into a hole on the top of a heavy beryllium dome, fingers bracing the side as he carefully cantilevered it on its leftmost edge. In his right hand he held a flathead screwdriver, its head wedged under the right edge of the dome to keep it from closing completely. Through the gap on the right side you could just barely catch a metallic gleam, a glimpse of the 14-pound plutonium sphere that was slated to become one of the United States’ next nuclear weapons.
    The Rest of the Story
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Will not play with that stuff anymore.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Thanks Mike. A little more history learned today.

I wish it was not such a short article. I would love to read more.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Dang, I would not be working with that material or any bomb for that matter. I will gladly take my chances with a oil well blowout, at least I have a small chance to make it to safety.