Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bridge collapse

Bridge collapse

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Saw that yesterday, why would they do a stress test with traffic around? It looks to me that the entire vertical support beam on the side that is flat on the ground snapped and allowed the entire bridge to come down. The side where the span is still at a 45 degree angle looks like it fell as a result of the far side collapse.

Prayers go out to those victims and families who were caught up in this tragedy.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Lets hope some engineers do time for this. is this what we got designing bridges?
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Rightwing View Post
    Lets hope some engineers do time for this. is this what we got designing bridges?
    Sadly everything is going to the newly educated college punks, who have no real world experience in anything. We have had so many problems in the oilfield because they get these little pricks fresh out of school, not know anything of practical experience and if it was not mentioned in a book, they have no way to even figure out a solution. Big difference between actually doing something and reading about it.

They know how to spend boatloads of money and make things worse, I will give them credit for that. I saw them run a horizontal well that ran less than 50 foot under an existing vertical well that was 8000' and had a wellhead rated for 3000psi. They fraced the horizontal leg at 5000psi and shot fluid into the vertical wellbore, which in turn blew out the wellhead and made a huge mess with frac water and sand. Idiots...

Are you ever constrained by facts or do just freewheel all of your bizarre opinions?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    Sadly everything is going to the newly educated college punks, who have no real world experience in anything. We have had so many problems in the oilfield because they get these little pricks fresh out of school, not know anything of practical experience and if it was not mentioned in a book, they have no way to even figure out a solution. Big difference between actually doing something and reading about it.

They know how to spend boatloads of money and make things worse, I will give them credit for that. I saw them run a horizontal well that ran less than 50 foot under an existing vertical well that was 8000' and had a wellhead rated for 3000psi. They fraced the horizontal leg at 5000psi and shot fluid into the vertical wellbore, which in turn blew out the wellhead and made a huge mess with frac water and sand. Idiots...
    There must be reason for the rant? Sure doesn't belong here.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Well please tell me why I am wrong in the scenarios I gave? They screwed up, it was determined through an investigation because of the oil on the ground that blew out of the well. I'll waiT.

Well it seems that some cracks were discovered days before the collapse and a voice mail message was left, but the person the message was left for did not get it until friday. What ever happened to followup calls. If a problem was suspected there should have been more phones calls made until a real person was reached and the problem discussed.
    The Florida Department of Transportation has just announced that they were warned about cracking in the Florida International University pedestrian bridge, two days before it collapsed, killing at least six people, but they didn't listen to the voicemail until Friday.

The following voicemail was left on a landline Tuesday by W. Denney Pate, FIGG's lead engineer responsible for the FIU pedestrian bridge project:

"Hey Tom, this is Denney Pate with FIGG bridge engineers. Calling to, uh, share with you some information about the FIU pedestrian bridge and some cracking that's been observed on the north end of the span, the pylon end of that span we moved this weekend. Um, so, uh, we've taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done but from a safety perspective we don't see that there's any issue there so we're not concerned about it from that perspective although obviously the cracking is not good and something's going to have to be, ya know, done to repair that. At any rate, I wanted to chat with you about that because I suspect at some point that's gonna get to your desk. So, uh, at any rate, call me back when you can. Thank you. Bye."

Additionally, FDOT says that they issued a permit at the request of FIU's design build team for a two-lane closures from January through April. However, they say at no time did they receive a request to close the entire road. FDOT says they were also not made aware by the FIU design build team of any scheduled "stress testing" of the bridge following installation.

The responsibility to identify and address life-safety issues and properly communicate them is the sole responsibility of the FIU design build team. At no point during any of the communications above did FIGG or any member of the FIU design build team ever communicate a life-safety issue. Again, FIGG and the FIU design build team never alerted FDOT of any life-safety issue regarding the FIU pedestrian bridge prior to collapse.

The tragic failure and collapse of the pedestrian bridge at FIU is the subject of an active and ongoing investigation led by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) as well as local and state law enforcement investigations. As FDOT assists in these investigations, we will continue our internal review and release all pertinent information as quickly as possible while ensuring its accuracy.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...hear-voicemail
    Failure in communication, who in their right mind would not make calls until a real person was made aware? Some more of that "okay I made the call, so my ass is covered" crap from these new guys.

Well it seems that some cracks were discovered days before the collapse and a voice mail message was left, but the person the message was left for did not get it until friday. What ever happened to followup calls. If a problem was suspected there should have been more phones calls made until a real person was reached and the problem discussed.

Failure in communication, who in their right mind would not make calls until a real person was made aware? Some more of that "okay I made the call, so my ass is covered" crap from these new guys.
    Hell the president "Tweets" that's apparently the new way to do things. I couldn't tweet if you gave me a bird.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I think what Tex was doing is similar to what goes on in the National media. You see a story where there is obvious malfeasance and then you stretch it into its further as possible reach to somehow blame Trump. That's what I think.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Tex' Honda said
    "stretched it into its further as possible reach to somehow blame Trump".
    Tex you just have to make up your mind! You've been fighting tooth and nail for Trump for two years and now your doing whatever the hell it was that Honda said! You can't have both!!!

I'm still wonder where Trump was brought into it and why... I place the blame on the engineers. They did their calculations and then said it will work build it. Then it failed and killed people. simple as that.

I'm still wonder where Trump was brought into it and why... I place the blame on the engineers. They did their calculations and then said it will work build it. Then it failed and killed people. simple as that.
    Really Tx? Until more information comes in these are just assumptions you are making. I'll at least wait until something more concrete comes in and then I'll blame someone or the obvious person, Trump after all it happened on his watch..
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Nevermind

The connection to Russia and Trump is obvious, we need another special council to investigate this....