Thread: US adds 313,000 jobs in Feb.

US adds 313,000 jobs in Feb.

Rather than link to the Labor Department as I would commonly do I am linking to the NYT.

If, like some you already know that link will be biased against Mr Trump---PLEASE do not read it---the last thing I would want to do is expose the pure of poisoned mind to such disturbing material.

For those of less "knowledge", take the time to read the entire article, I think you will find it worth your investment in time.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

For those without a subscription to the NYT like me you can right click on the link and open in a new incognito window.

There is a lot of good news in that article. The increases in the economy that started in 2010 show no sign of stopping under President Trump. The steady drops in unemployment that peaked at 10% in 2010 is continuing to drop to today's 4.1%. The increase in wages that has been sluggish at best should begin to manifest as the labor market tightens.

Not in the article but an example of the tightening is Home Depot investing $50 million in programs to train new construction workers due to the extreme shortage in that niche of the market.

A lot of good news for the economy but just like the tax cuts there is not much there for a really large number of citizens such as myself who is on a fixed income and too damned old to go back into the market.

The interest rates will go up dramatically because of the two actors on the Fed's radars. The fear of inflation taking off due to the increase in wages and the massive increase in borrowing by the federal government to pay for the tax cuts.

It promises to be a year of mixed blessings and I hope the economy continues to make strides even though the tariffs will cost millions of workers in the manufacturing industries jobs as the industries start to move operations overseas to capitalize on the 25% savings on material costs.

It promises to be a year of mixed blessings and I hope the economy continues to make strides even though the tariffs will cost millions of workers in the manufacturing industries jobs as the industries start to move operations overseas to capitalize on the 25% savings on material costs.
    I'd suggest you are way ahead of the curve on that deduction Don. I haven't offered any comment because at this point I have no idea of the details---which are still being worked out.

I buy a lot of aluminum extrusions from Columbia but I have no idea if this tariff is on ingots, semi-finished. or finished goods. In any event it is not likely to have any impact on jobs for me---at most I'll move my dies to Canada and life goes on.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Rather than link to the Labor Department as I would commonly do I am linking to the NYT.

If, like some you already know that link will be biased against Mr Trump---PLEASE do not read it---the last thing I would want to do is expose the pure of poisoned mind to such disturbing material.

For those of less "knowledge", take the time to read the entire article, I think you will find it worth your investment in time.
    Dave if you could cut the arrogance just a bit some folks might actually read a link you post
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Dave if you could cut the arrogance just a bit some folks might actually read a link you post
    Why would he start now....nothing like a arrogant narcissist condensing egotistical white privileged male who looks down upon us as unwashed fools.....

You two need to cool it. There isn't a soul on this site that has not fought on here more than Dave and I. Hell when Ben posted that I was in the hospital and might die, I didn't get a get well soon I got a "well I really hope he doesn't come back here" Thing is I had a brain infection for as mush as two years before I woke up in the hospital and didn't even know what I was saying for most of the time. I lost everything, no home, car clothes knic knacs money. I was out not even near stable living on the street , still not doing well and it would have been easy to take great offense and I could have held that for a long time, guess I had other things on my mind.Point is I'm a nobody, if I can be half way civil you can be too. If you'll notice he's been civil also.
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    You two need to cool it. There isn't a soul on this site that has not fought on here more than Dave and I. Hell when Ben posted that I was in the hospital and might die, I didn't get a get well soon I got a "well I really hope he doesn't come back here" Thing is I had a brain infection for as mush as two years before I woke up in the hospital and didn't even know what I was saying for most of the time. I lost everything, no home, car clothes knic knacs money. I was out not even near stable living on the street , still not doing well and it would have been easy to take great offense and I could have held that for a long time, guess I had other things on my mind.Point is I'm a nobody, if I can be half way civil you can be too. If you'll notice he's been civil also.
    Amen Mike.

But you are definitely not a nobody.

You are a good man and although you and do not always agree we always get along. I respect you and call you a friend.

I consider no person on this site an enemy and would come to their aid anytime.

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Dave be good man, some read NYT's and some get news from reliable sources, lets just read as we want.
    Last edited by Billy_Rightwing; 03-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    So I think I understand what you're saying does that mean we shouldn't challenge Dave. As you know Dave is a valuable contributor to this forum. He has strong opinions which he places here in a very wise an intellectual way. I happen to disagree with many of them and I happen to think sometimes his presentation of them is arrogant and condescending. I pointed that out to him in my response it has nothing to do with my respect for him as a human or as a poster here.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    So I think I understand what you're saying does that mean we shouldn't challenge Dave. As you know Dave is a valuable contributor to this forum. He has strong opinions which he places here in a very wise an intellectual way. I happen to disagree with many of them and I happen to think sometimes his presentation of them is arrogant and condescending. I pointed that out to him in my response it has nothing to do with my respect for him as a human or as a poster here.
    He might think your a friggin idiot but he didn't post it. Arrogant and condescending is an opinion. Opinion's well you know what they say about them. "You all" includes Dave I'm not picking sides or judging, just giving my opinion and you know what they say about them.
    Oh, hell yes challenge everything just don't use personnel opinions to fight back. If something is wrong jump on it, not the poster.
    This is your mind on drugs!

First things first----Mike I sincerely apologize for that comment about you coming back, I did not realize what was going on with you at the time and my response was based on your "stalking" me at every post. Had I been aware of your situation I would have been more understanding. I'm glad you are both improved and back, you bring value to the discussions.

Secondly, Tom please tell me how you see arrogance in the original post. I have reread it and still don't see it. Please allow me to explain the comments in that post. Tx as is his norm denigrates the NYT, anyone living on the coast, anyone to the left of his extreme right position and all other things not within his neatly arranged world as being valueless and a pox on the world. The article that I linked to (in the condemned NYT) demonstrates none of the characteristics that Tx claims infects every word. If in doing that, I sounded condescending it was not my intent to do so.

I kept out of this thread to keep the piece, but now I see that I made a wise decision to do so, as it turns out, it was just a dig at me. Carry on.