Thread: The Mr. Chickadee thread...

The Mr. Chickadee thread...

post your favorite here....

Last edited by Polly Goodnight; 01-24-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Last edited by Polly Goodnight; 01-24-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Last edited by Polly Goodnight; 01-24-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Very nice, keep them coming!

I feel a bit guilty, I have collection of broad axes, complete with the correct offset (both left hand and right hand) handles. When I acquired mine, including a goose wing, they were fairly easy to find. That is now past.

The young man in the videos is no poser, he knows what he is doing and how it was done.

BTW, the cutting edges are steel, hammer welded to the cast heads.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I despised those damn things---commonly called a two man saw.

The trick is to never push---only pull. I know--sounds simple---try it! I would invariably end up pushing which in turn would bow the blade and make it more difficult for the "other guy" to pull. The other guy in most cases was my father who was the least tolerant person I ever met---he not only expected everyone else to preform at his level---he demanded it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

same here...but, I prepping with the ideal to distance myself from all that requires petro to run....

Back to the hewing. I have attached a picture of a goosewing broad axe (not one of mine). The initial cuts were made as shown with a conventional axe at about 3-4" spacing. Then the broad axe was used to "shave" off those cuts.

Some of these axes had full length handles. some short handles as shown. It was mostly personal preference. Especially when using the short handle, the handles were bent to provide an offset from the cutting edge to save one's knuckles! The edges were always sharpened (beveled) only on one side which prevented the blade from cutting in rather than shaving the log.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	36638