Thread: Wooden Skyscraper - For Dave

Wooden Skyscraper - For Dave

I wood (pun intended) think the weight load would quickly destroy the lower stories.

A Japanese company is planning to build the world's tallest wooden skyscraper with 90 percent of the building made of wood.

Sumitomo Forestry says its wooden high-rise — dubbed the W350 — will be 350 meters tall and the planned structure will be a hybrid of mostly wood and steel.

The 70-storey building, expected to be built in Tokyo, will comprise of stores, offices, hotels and private homes, the company noted in plans released earlier in February.
    ARTICLE and VIDEO
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wood (pun intended) think the weight load would quickly destroy the lower stories.

ARTICLE and VIDEO
    Termites.

I hate termites, insidious little varmints.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenis View Post
    Termites.

I hate termites, insidious little varmints.
    This solved the problem temporarily: Operation Meetinghouse......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

All I ask is - Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    All I ask is - Why?
    The concept for the building has been prepared primarily at Tsukuba Research Institute, Sumitomo Forestry's research and development facility.

The institute is looking at the "expanding possibilities for wooden buildings as a road map for future technology, such as the development of building methods, environmentally-friendly technologies, and trees that become resources and building materials," the company said.

Sumitomo Forestry can trace its origins in the timber industry back to 1691 and the W350 building is planned to mark the company's 350th anniversary in 2041.

The company notes that forests cover approximately two thirds (68.5 percent) of Japan's land area. This puts it at second place among OECD member countries, behind Finland.

However, the self-supply rate for domestica
    A company trying to find a larger market for its products.

They are researching methods to solve the problems such a building would face with earthquakes, fire, and wind. I would add termites and wood destroying insects.

(I just had to replace two bathrooms and an outside support wall on my 2 story house from the little buggers)

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    I don't know so much about a wooden skyscraper but what totally amazes me is the massive bamboo scaffolding that they build up the side of some of the high rises. Massive works of art.

I have also marveled at the use of bamboo scaffolding.

This is a very interesting project---I will have to make an effort to follow this. As an aside I had a bit to do with the current record holder at U of BC. I was involved in developing the curriculum for the wood technology school at U of BC.

Wednesday I had a kick-off meeting for a new project for one of the largest companies in the US. We have now done multiple projects for them and they are always interesting, challenging and exciting (yes Virginia, even at my age). This new project has multiple "hydration zones" were people can retreat to relax and recharge. The walls are a series of live moss panels as are the ceilings. Multiple groupings of custom wood planters are suspended from the ceilings throughout.

It was not that many years ago that office design was sterile---now we have projects that devote huge sums of money to creating an organic landscape that looks more like a garden than an office space. Wood structures would seem to complement that movement.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis