Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cataract Surgery

Cataract Surgery

Who here has had cataract surgery?

It was necessary for me to wear glasses to read from the time I was 15 years old.

My vision started becoming much worse about two years ago and had finally got to the point glasses were not able to correct my vision enough to read books or the computer.

I was unable to drive or even participate in discussion forums.

Last summer I went to the eye doctor and had cataract surgery. The lenses in my eyes were removed and artificial lenses implanted.

I could see immediately although things were a bit blurry for a few days.

I am now able to see and read without any glasses or correction at all.

The surgery was done on one eye at a time and things that I thought were white suddenly was brown as if I were looking through a glass of tea in the uncorrected eye and bright white in the eye with the new lens.

When the old lens is removed it is replaced with a lens that corrects the distance vision to 20/20.

All was covered by Medicare.

I don't know much about cataracts but I have been told I have a small one. The only eye problems I've had was a gunshot wound back when I was a cop. Had surgery they retired me. So went back to school
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I don't know much about cataracts but I have been told I have a small one. The only eye problems I've had was a gunshot wound back when I was a cop. Had surgery they retired me. So went back to school
    They come on slowly over a long time so you don't really notice how much your vision has degraded until you get to where I was, almost legally blind.

Got mine done last year. Really a painless operation. Mine were more a honey color so after the operation thw white was like looking at a Mr Clean commercial. Best money I spent.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Got mine done last year. Really a painless operation. Mine were more a honey color so after the operation thw white was like looking at a Mr Clean commercial. Best money I spent.
    Are you able to read without corrective lenses now?

There are lenses available that correct astigmatism but they are more expensive.
    I was surprised the ones they inserted corrected my farsightedness.

For those who have had the surgery, how much downtime before you can drive home?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Because of the initial blurriness in the affected eye. They wanted a designated driver when mine were done at separate times.

The nighttime light halo affected me for about a month until I got used to it. Now I don't really notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenis View Post
    things that I thought were white suddenly was brown
    I wonder if this means that book printers and websites haven't been deliberately using shades of gray instead of black on white to slow down my reading?...For the last few years it's taken me longer to read anything due to the print and the background merging into one shade of gray......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    For those who have had the surgery, how much downtime before you can drive home?......Ben
    You can return to your normal routine immediately because only one eye is affected at a time.

It's recommended that you don't drive for 24 hours following any kind of sedation.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenis View Post
    It's recommended that you don't drive for 24 hours following any kind of sedation.
    I may have to anyway...With the needle they've been sticking in my eyeball every month for the past year, I have time to drive home before the numbing drops wear off...After that, it's as if there's a grass burr under my eyelid, but that goes away after a period of time......Ben

Answers:
    1. You will need someone to drive you home. The follow up was the next day and depending on how you feel as the eye is still bandaged, you shouldn't drive. So figure a driver for that also. After they remove and check you eye, in my case focus was hard since it was so bright. Another follow up in 2 weeks and you should be good to go in that eye.
    2. They don't due both eyes at once.
    3. They decided not to do the corrected lens for the astigmatism so I ok with using glasses. Need something for reading and they are coated for the sun, so I'm never looking for sun glasses. LOL.
    4. Ben I stayed away from work and at home for three days after the follow-up before I drove into work. So figure the operation was on Tues, follow up on Wed and driving by Sat-Sun. Now the hard thing to remember is one eye is fixed and healing and the other is the same. So if you are wearing glasses expect one to function with that the the other going crazy trying to see out the glass.
    5. Until about a month after both eyes are done then's the time to get the eyes checked and deal with reading or regular glasses. Anything before that is a crap shoot.

In my case I was trying to run the register and either taking glasses off or squinting to see the keys. Was funny and sad at the same time. Luckily most of our clients are older and have had the thing done so they could relate.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Ben I stayed away from work and at home for three days after the follow-up before I drove into work. So figure the operation was on Tues, follow up on Wed and driving by Sat-Sun.
    I may have to live with what I have then...Thanks for the info, Fred......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I may have to anyway...With the needle they've been sticking in my eyeball every month for the past year, I have time to drive home before the numbing drops wear off...After that, it's as if there's a grass burr under my eyelid, but that goes away after a period of time......Ben
    Ouch!!

Would that be a glaucoma treatment?

I always thought glaucoma was caused by not enough sex.

and they are coated for the sun, so I'm never looking for sun glasses. LOL.
    My glasses are self darkening too, but I was very disappointed that the glass in the truck is already UV treated so I had to get clip ons while I drive. They will not darken while in a vehicle and I was bummed about that. The minute I step out though, it is great!

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    My glasses are self darkening too, but I was very disappointed that the glass in the truck is already UV treated so I had to get clip ons while I drive. They will not darken while in a vehicle and I was bummed about that. The minute I step out though, it is great!
    The brightness really bothered me at first but I quickly got used to it.

The sun is brighter in Colorado Springs than in Texas and whole lot brighter than Florida, the Sunshine State.