Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parkland school shooter did not use high capacity magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dork View Post
    Your full of ****, "so easy to buy" ya know what, you can't buy one without a background check, go into any gun store in the springs and try to buy one....hell, try and buy one at AAFES and see what happens......

They are no harder or any easier to buy than any other semi auto weapon, and in Colorado have mag limits that are all kinds of screwed up.

The AR 15 and the Mini 14 Ranch rifle are semi automatic rifles.....both using detachable box magazines.....yet nobody is afraid of the Ranch rifle, is that cuz it's not black, are you racists afraid of a black rifle....
    Go to any gun show in Florida and walk out the door without even showing an ID. Cash talks right through the massive gun show loophole.

Under federal law, private-party sellers are not required to perform background checks on buyers; whether at a gun show or other venue. They also are not required to record the sale or ask for identification.

Now I have not been to the COS gun shows but I would bet I could walk in with cash and walk out with an AR-15 telling them my name was Donald Duck.

(My name is not Donald Duck, btw)
    Last edited by Fulltimer; 03-03-2018 at 03:09 AM.

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    MASSIVE gun show loophole?? How so? Sure, you can buy an AR type from an individual without filling out a 4473 which is a transfer form for the FFL holder. Individuals are not required to keep a record of firearm transfers. It's like buying one from your neighbor. If you see a lot of black guns and black gun parts that would be a dealer and not an individuals and would require a 4473. I see very few individuals walking around trying to sell their black guns. Laws, rules, and regulations will NOT stop evil people from doing harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dork View Post
    I've not paid much attention to with this or any reports lately & had not heard the bump fire stocks were not used.

If they were not used, why the push at the white house level to ban them......Trump even said to ban them....
    It's a silly argument from the get-go since the same effect can be had from any semi-automatic with a buttstock, simply by using the thumb trick......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Individuals are not required to keep a record of firearm transfers.
    Almost, Bob...I've been out of the biz for a while, but I think FFL holders are still required to keep a record of individual sales to non-FFL holders from their private collections if the sale takes place less than a year from time of acquiral......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

May He Rest In Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Almost, Bob...I've been out of the biz for a while, but I think FFL holders are still required to keep a record of individual sales to non-FFL holders from their private collections if the sale takes place less than a year from time of acquiral......Ben
    And I believe that you are correct Ben. That is to keep unscrupulous FFL holders from floating their business inventory through their private collection to bypass filling out 4473's. A non FFL holder with a few guns he wants to sell can get a table at a gun show and sell at a gun show without 4473's. I have bought guns from these individuals with no 4473 but in every case they wanted to see my ID to verify that I was a citizen of this State which is the proper thing to do.

And I believe that you are correct Ben. That is to keep unscrupulous FFL holders from floating their business inventory through their private collection to bypass filling out 4473's. A non FFL holder with a few guns he wants to sell can get a table at a gun show and sell at a gun show without 4473's. I have bought guns from these individuals with no 4473 but in every case they wanted to see my ID to verify that I was a citizen of this State which is the proper thing to do.
    And to be clear, I have no problem with sales in any of these instances...The Gold Cup I still carry today was bought from an individual at a gun show who was posing as a "dealer" with no FFL nor paperwork, long before my first FFL...One of my favorite carbines still in possession was bought from an FFL holder from his private collection at a gun show before I got my own FFL...(He also verified my identity)...

I acquired many guns for my private collection from my store inventory by filling out the 4473, letting an employee fill out and sign the back half...Some of those guns were sold to finance my divorce (I still miss those guns) by putting them back into inventory on consignment, and selling them via 4473 and any necessary background checks...(The store then took its consignment fee)...

Since leaving the business I've bought two guns over the counter by filling out the 4473, and showing my CHL......Ben

May He Rest In Peace
    There are enough gun laws on the books. Let's start doing something different and enforce and prosecute those laws.

There are enough gun laws on the books. Let's start doing something different and enforce and prosecute those laws.
    I'm all for it......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'm all for it......Ben
    Ready to close the gun show loophole? What good is the NICS Database if a person can walk into a gun show and purchase any firearm without any background check?

I will concede that so far all the mass murders have been committed by responsible gun owners using legally purchased semi-automatic weapons.

So, when the President says we need to strengthen background checks, what exactly does he mean other than the one glaring gun show loophole?

Every time there is a highly publicized mass murder the attendance at these open unregulated bazaars skyrockets.

The old gun show loophole BS. Do you know that it is easier to buy a gun on the street than at any gun show? Fact. A person who wants to do another person harm does not care where the gun was bought. As was shown in the last school shooting, if the other sensible ideas had been followed and implemented, the gun would never have been a problem to begin with. The gun he used was purchased legally, the seller filled out all of the forms and asked all of the required question and when that was done he made the sale. He had no way of knowing that the man was a bit off and did not need to have any firearm at all. Laws only work when the one wanting to break them stops.

The ones who did have intimate knowledge of the mentality of the shooter did nothing. They did not ask questions, did not fill out paperwork, did not do anything really. The deaths of all of those kids are on their hands. The school board and admin KNEW he was a troubled boy. The local cops KNEW he was bad news. The FBI KNEW he was in a bad frame of mind because a third party had contacted them with his concerns.

Out of all of that, where the actual rules on the gun side were followed to the letter and the proper checks done, you blame some obscure loophole that was not even used in any of this crime. WHy? WHat point does that make? That would be like beating my kid because the dog crapped on the carpet, it makes no sense and goes to show just how NOT serious you are about solving the problem. THAT is why we continue to have these whackjobs doing stupid things like this and it happens time and time again. You want another law put in place when the main one that should have prevented it in the first place did not work. MURDER IS ILLEGAL! That is a law that is enforced everywhere. There is no murder show where you can go to bypass the laws, there is no loophole letting you get away with one of it is purchased there. Murder is a law, it is illegal and yet people keep doing it. Wow, how well those laws really work if one chooses to not give a chit about any law.

But no, you go ahead, keep pushing your agenda, get that loophole closed and then you can sit around and figure out where your silly idea failed the next time some deranged SOB decides that he wants to kill a bunch of innocent people......BUT BY GOD WE GOT THAT GAWD DAMNED LOOPHOLE CLOSED!!!

Well, closing that loophole would be a start.

I did concede the point that the folks who were committing the mass murders were responsible gun owners who had obtained their weapons through registered Firearms dealers.

As far as the fact that many folks and agencies knew the shooter was deranged, what could they have done under the existing law?

In Florida, they could have Baker Acted him and watched him for 72 hours but then would have had to release him to his legally obtained firearms to go out and kill.

Trump's recommendation that we seize the weapons and then worry about the legality sounds like the rallying cry of "He's coming for our guns" we hear from the NRA.

He did, after all, sign into law the H.J. Res 40 that even removed the mentally deranged from the FBI NICS database and his Justice Department removed those who were actively fleeing prosecution from the database as well.

So what is your suggestion to solve the problem of school children being killed by responsible gun owners?

Do you even see it as a problem?

No, you are making excuses, just like all of the politicians have done since the first shooting. Trump made a good point in the meeting at the WhiteHouse about passing legislation that actually works, not just passing something to say you passed it. You are flying the agenda flag, not the solutions flag. That is why the problem still persists, the right solution is not figured out, just the one that sounds good and makes the next voting cycle a talking point.

The guy was a known violent person, he was an adult. If a person has been convicted of a sexual crime, they are not allowed within so many feet of a school are they not? This guy was an adult, he was over 18. He had a history of violence in that very school, he should not have been allowed to be anywhere near there, alternate school or nothing.

You are continuing to blame Trump, this problem was around long before Trump was ever thinking about being a candidate, so I can not take you argument with any seriousness and instead throw it on the pile of flapping your gums to hear noise. Columbine happened long before Trump was ever in office and was carried out without the aid of "assault rifles" because they were banned at the time. It did not stop the killing though did it? They guns were not purchased at a gun show using a loophole were they? All of the mass killing taken place Columbine, Sandy Hook, The Florida niteclub shooting, the shooting at the Gabby Giffords rally, Aurora movie theatre, none of those guns were purchased at a gun show using this loophole everybody is so stuck on, so your point is not valid. I think Grm Honore put it best when he rolled into New Orleans and the reporters asked him the same thing...... "Stuck on Stupid", this whole assault rifle and gunshow loophole argument is no way relevant to any of these shootings. I doubt if it even pertains to the huge amount of gun violence in Chicago that has the most strict of gun laws, so your argument is invalid.

The military did not follow the law that was in place at the time that allowed the Texas church shooter to legally obtain a gun. Another check mark in the "more laws don't fix the problem" column. All of the arguments and solutions the ignorant politicians are offering DO NOT WORK. Period. If they did murder would never happen, drugs would never be a problem and the world would be full of unicorns and rainbows.

You keep throwing out the mantra of "Responsible gun owners" as if it means something. We both know you are trying to use the phrase like a cowboy spurs his horse, to get a reaction. You are dead wrong on that one too, responsible gun owners, by definition, do not go out and kill people or shoot recklessly, so your phrase is completely wrong and that also makes your points invalid.

All of your arguments are made to either inflame the conversation or to mislead the facts. That neither solves the problem or calms the situation and is a part of the reason these things keep happening. The reasoning for putting an end to the senseless killing is completely misconstrued because you are not looking for a real solution, you are looking to push a useless meaningless agenda or are trying to start a fight. You want to solve it, let's solve it, but dancing around the problem itself to take silly potshots is only going to cause more lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenis View Post
    Ready to close the gun show loophole? What good is the NICS Database if a person can walk into a gun show and purchase any firearm without any background check?

I will concede that so far all the mass murders have been committed by responsible gun owners using legally purchased semi-automatic weapons.
    I can also walk into any home show, and purchase a new toilet without a background check...I could then use that same toilet to flush any evidence down the sewer if the DEA raids my home...

All illegal drug dealers were responsible, law-abiding citizens minding their own business until they decided to sell narcotics for a profit......Ben

Well, TxMusky, I am ready to hear your solution.

No more laws you say. Allow unregulated purchases by anyone at gun shows you say. Stop folks from buying toilets Ben says.

Allowing firearm purchases by mentally deranged people and folks fleeing prosecution for other crimes is what the President has done so far.

So what are your ideas for a solution?

You didnt hear a thing I said, you just threw out some of your garbage. I never said any of the things you put in your last post. Same old Don, still putting words in my mouth that I never spoke. Then you ventured into outright lies, how does your mind come up with all of that baloney?

My first move towards a solution would be to bar you from attending the meeting, so that others would not be confused by your twisting of facts and outright lying about things. We need solutions, real solutions, instead of spending valuable time letting those who instead of wanting solutions want to argue and misconstrue what was actually said. It did not take you long to jump right back into your old ways I see.