Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Winter Olympics

The Winter Olympics

Well the Olympics are over and the folks will be coming home and there will again be a lot of activity at all the training facilities and the US Olympic headquarters here in Colorado Springs.

Been watching a lot of discussions on different forums and to be frank, I am a little disgusted with the unsportsmanlike statements from a lot of folks because we didn't win as many medals as they thought we should. Criticizing the athletes and saying they are ashamed of them.

The Olympics is the time when the best athletes from all the nations can come together and with good sportsmanship compete in their respective sports.

I cheer for the best athletes no matter their nationality and feel proud of our home teams because they were good enough to be Olympic competitors.

I will be downtown for the Olympic parade when they come home.

We really need to tone down the nationalistic fervor that seems to come out of every activity we engage in and simply enjoy the prowess exhibited by this new generation.

I am a little disgusted with the unsportsmanlike statements from a lot of folks because we didn't win as many medals as they thought we should. Criticizing the athletes and saying they are ashamed of them.
    AS their fat ass is sitting on the couch sucking down another beer that their wife just brought them.
    When Linsey Vonn did her last down hill she said it was for her Grand Pop who had just died a couple of months ago, from an earlier interview eight years ago with the two of them they were really close. She ended up getting a bronze metal this time, a reporter comes up and asks her "is that good enough, is that enough to make your grandfather happy" Had I been there I think I'd have punched him in the mouth, Linsey just fell apart crying, "I think I did enough" People suck!!!
    This is your mind on drugs!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrist View Post
    AS their fat ass is sitting on the couch sucking down another beer that their wife just brought them.
    When Linsey Vonn did her last down hill she said it was for her Grand Pop who had just died a couple of months ago, from an earlier interview eight years ago with the two of them they were really close. She ended up getting a bronze metal this time, a reporter comes up and asks her "is that good enough, is that enough to make your grandfather happy" Had I been there I think I'd have punched him in the mouth, Linsey just fell apart crying, "I think I did enough" People suck!!!
    Yeah, I know. Every Olympic athlete is a hero doing extraordinary competition and I will be there cheering for them at their parade here in Colorado Springs, Olympic City.

The Olympics have become boring. I did not watch much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The Olympics have become boring. I did not watch much at all.
    Why? Is it the commercialization? The Olympics used to be a big deal for us and they were hardly a blip on the screen this year
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Why? Is it the commercialization?
    That part was bad enough, but the political aspects (which have always been there all the way back to the Greek games) have now overshadowed the athletic intent...Headlines and dollar signs come before athletic prowess...

I didn't bother watching it either......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That part was bad enough, but the political aspects (which have always been there all the way back to the Greek games) have now overshadowed the athletic intent...Headlines and dollar signs come before athletic prowess...

I didn't bother watching it either......Ben
    You seem to be the one putting the political aspects to it.

There is a difference between not wanting to watch it because of your political viewpoint and disliking the actual competition between the athletes.

The athletes are not political and their efforts were to try to be the best in their sport.

Many of the athletes from other countries train here and many athletes competing under foreign flags are Americans whose parents are from other nations.

Seun Adigun was born in Chicago of Nigerian parents and was the driver for the Nigerian bobsled team. There are many more examples of cross nation competitors and I, for one, cheer the athletes no matter which flag they are competing under or which corporation might be sponsoring them.

Some people are avid football or basketball or baseball fans.

The sports I am an avid fan of is politics and olympics in that order and each comes around every two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenis View Post
    You seem to be the one putting the political aspects to it.
    Give it up, Don...I exemplified the political aspects, and touched on the commercialization in a blog article long ago...Regular readers have already seen it, and know your attempts to blame me for causing centuries-old political turmoil are laughable......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My nephew was there skiing: Bryce Bennett. Glad he made it.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Give it up, Don...I exemplified the political aspects, and touched on the commercialization in a blog article long ago...Regular readers have already seen it, and know your attempts to blame me for causing centuries-old political turmoil are laughable......Ben
    Go getem Ben.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

You seem to be the one putting the political aspects to it.....

[snip]

The athletes are not political and their efforts were to try to be the best in their sport.....
    You must have found a different way to keep up with this year's Olympics. It was by far the most politicized I can remember.

Lots of reporting on Lindsey Vonn's (and others) feud with Trump. That's ok, though. Lindsey can drop by my house for a visit anytime. Anytime at all!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You must have found a different way to keep up with this year's Olympics. It was by far the most politicized I can remember.

Lots of reporting on Lindsey Vonn's (and others) feud with Trump. That's ok, though. Lindsey can drop by my house for a visit anytime. Anytime at all!
    Lindsey Vonn has a feud with President Trump? I did not know that.

No I never saw any of that. I was watching the stream of the specific events from Xfinity and there was very little commentary except for the skaters describing their individual contests. You guys must have been watching on commercial broadcast TV. Jamie Anderson's performance in the slopestyle and the big air competition was amazing. Red Gerard's gold in men's slopestyle was a local favorite and that unassuming young man is one of the best examples of sportsmanship in a long time.

Colorado athletes won 9 medals this year but that is not surprising as Colorado Springs is the home to the US Olympic committee and there are olympic training facilities all over town.

I tried to watch the Large Hill Jumping and it bored me. Technology has taken a lot of the thrill out of Olympic sports. Every jump looked the same. Same with the Bobsleds, every run looked the same. They have become more tedious than thrilling. The Skeleton was cool for a bit due to the skillz needed to keep from ramming your head into the ice.

I missed the political aspect because I recorded them so anytime someone was getting interviewed I just skipped through it.

When is it, not that I'll attend....NBC turned the Olympics into a political love fest & they were not worth watching. The Olympics are over rated and you have a bunch of pompus air heads running around thinking they are important...

Fort Carson is important, Pete is important, Cheyenne Mt is important, Schriever is almost important as is the Academy....but the Olympics aint squat...specifically to all those who could care less like me

Might hang out at Jack Quinn's for a few beers and some bangers & mash....

Lindsey Vonn has a feud with President Trump? I did not know that.

Colorado athletes won 9 medals this year but that is not surprising as Colorado Springs is the home to the US Olympic committee and there are olympic training facilities all over town.
    And the Broadmoor World Arena is way old and outdated, it actually sucks and should be imploded and rebuilt......

Why is it there is no Olympic museum, yes it "should" open in 2020, but ya have the ProRodeo Hall of Fame and Museum of the American Cowboy