Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS

USPS

In the last few years there has been a lot of thefts from mailboxes and off porches.

Carriers like UPS and FedEx have not been very responsive to these events but the United States Postal Service has.

When one registers an account with the USPS Informed Delivery Service there will be pictures of each mailpiece and package due to arrive at an address. From the Dashboard you can click "I didn't receive this item" and an investigation is started.

Amazon used to use UPS almost exclusively but I found when selling through Amazon USPS was a lot faster, more dependable, and a lot less expensive.

More recently most Amazon items have been shipped to me via USPS but the last few weeks some Prime orders from The Western US are being routed to ONTRAC and the normal 2 day delivery turns into a week or longer. Amazon says they are working on the problem.

Go back to USPS I say.

Amazon is also using its own delivery service. If you haven't experienced them, consider yourself lucky. I've had several packages delivered to the wrong house, or just gone missing. I don't seem to have that problem with UPS, USPS or FedEx.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

We get Sunday Amazon deliveries, no idea who is the actual carrier, but on some items they will ship the 2 day shipping and it get's here on Sunday.

UPS throws packages on the porch and 1/2 the time does not ring the bell, FrdEx will ring the bell, but they have been known to put a tag on the door when I'm home and the door is open waiting for them....

USPS....they are drunk & when they sober up you get about 1/3rd of what you should when you should, lately we have been getting mail for people in other houses up and down the street, our normal postal carrier is gone missing and no 2 days is it the same person for the last month or so.....

WalMart is testing an idea of having their employees deliver shipments on their way home after work.

I have found Wal Mart is competing well with Amazon on prices and shipment times.

I have a neighboorhood market within walking distance and ordered a monitor from WalMart to be shipped to store. I had checked Amazon first and WalMart was several dollars cheaper and was guaranteed to be ready for pick up 1 day sooner.

If Amazon continues to use ONTRAC I will be taking my online business to WalMart as much as I dislike them.

Most of my Amazon orders come in by USPS...Last month I had one arrive next day!!...And I don't use Prime, but shipping is always included anyway...Orders from elsewhere are a hybrid of FedEx and USPS...All the orders that come in on Sunday are by USPS......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Dork View Post
    We get Sunday Amazon deliveries, no idea who is the actual carrier, but on some items they will ship the 2 day shipping and it get's here on Sunday.

UPS throws packages on the porch and 1/2 the time does not ring the bell, FrdEx will ring the bell, but they have been known to put a tag on the door when I'm home and the door is open waiting for them....

USPS....they are drunk & when they sober up you get about 1/3rd of what you should when you should, lately we have been getting mail for people in other houses up and down the street, our normal postal carrier is gone missing and no 2 days is it the same person for the last month or so.....
    We have had problems reported in the Cimarron Hills section of town but it is localized to that area. I have had zero problems with USPS and the Sunday delivery is pretty neat considering they were considering doing away with Saturday deliveries just a short time ago.

I'm an Amazon Prime member and the service is extraordinary. USPS UPS whatever it gets here on time almost every time I have no complaints
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Same here with Prime... Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Same here with Prime... Love it.
    I have Prime and have for many years now. I have two Kindles, 3 Echos, and a Firestick and regularly use Amazon Music and Prime movies. I consider it a bargain even after Bezos raised the price. I just hope they don't decide to continue using ONCOR instead of USPS. I'm afraid they will end up like KFC in Great Britain changing to DHL for chicken supplies.

Logistics is a very big deal for a business. Some corners should not be cut.

I have Prime and would not be without it.

Both UPS and FEDEX have joint shipping programs with the USPS were the initial shipment is with one of the private carriers and then they hand the package off to the USPS at the local post office for final delivery. I believe there is a fairly low weight limit but not sure of that. We actually get delivery on Sunday from USPS--something I try to avoid by opting for longer delivery times but my wife is not as "carbon sensitive".

I would prefer the USPS not be involved since our local service is deplorable. Both UPS and FEDEX put packages in the garage, out of the weather and out of sight. I have had USPS packages actually placed in the middle of the lane. A few weeks ago they forced a package in the mail box that almost fit, I had to cut a hole in the end of the box to put my finger inside to pull it back out.

Other than our local USPS problems, the joint arrangement seems to make a lot of sense.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I would prefer not to use USPS. Two day prime turns into 3 or 4 day. I've had to show them on my phone that the package has arrived the day before and still no notice in the P.O. Box. Last package from Rockler was delivered at 5:00 AM on the 21st but I finally got a notice at 5:00 PM on the 22nd.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Informed Delivery

Well my mailbox is sitting right in front of my house and I know my mailman and speak to him several times a week. He will get out of his truck to bring a package to the front door but I will meet him at the driveway because I need the exercise and he does not.

I like getting an email with little pictures of the mail that will be delivered today. It just seems quaint somehow like they could just send it all digitally like if you write a check at WalMart and they stick your check in a little machine and then hand it back to you. Or when you want to deposit a check so you take a picture of it and the bank automatically deposits it in your account and says you should mark it deposited.

That is handy for me in Colorado because there are no Bank of America branches here. Works great for checks but seems to have a glitch when I try to deposit cash.

One thing that would show the Postal Service had a sense of humor would be if they put a "Spoiler Alert" button you had to click before you saw the pictures of your mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Amazon is also using its own delivery service. If you haven't experienced them, consider yourself lucky. I've had several packages delivered to the wrong house, or just gone missing. I don't seem to have that problem with UPS, USPS or FedEx.
    The only time I have had something delivered by their own service (to the best of my knowledge) was a few years ago--and it was perfect. It was a snow blower and I had to schedule the delivery with them. They had a 1 or 2 hour window to deliver. They called that morning to confirm, then called again a few hours latter to say they were running a little ahead of schedule, could they come early. They did--and as I told them to do they stopped out on the side of the road, unloaded with a lift gate onto a dolly, rolled it down the lane and right into the garage. Took it off the dolly, took a few photos, got my signature---and with a ho ho ho they were off. It could not have been better---unless they would have uncrated it and put it together
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The only time I have had something delivered by their own service (to the best of my knowledge) was a few years ago--and it was perfect. It was a snow blower and I had to schedule the delivery with them. They had a 1 or 2 hour window to deliver. They called that morning to confirm, then called again a few hours latter to say they were running a little ahead of schedule, could they come early. They did--and as I told them to do they stopped out on the side of the road, unloaded with a lift gate onto a dolly, rolled it down the lane and right into the garage. Took it off the dolly, took a few photos, got my signature---and with a ho ho ho they were off. It could not have been better---unless they would have uncrated it and put it together
    Is there an Amazon distribution center near you?

Yes, about 25 miles. This was a third party company contracted to Amazon. The truck had no lettering on it.