Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A thought of spring?

A thought of spring?

It was "warm" this morning ahead of an approaching snow storm beginning late this afternoon and going into tomorrow.

There was a small herd of seven deer in the field below the barn this morning. The deer, who always seem to anticipate the weather, seemed undeterred by what is to come as they rejoiced in the now. They were in and out of the woods grazing on the grass and playing. I'm sure the "players" were yearlings. They would run and jump for no other reason than they wanted to. I was seeing them on and off all morning. It is obvious the skittishness of hunting season has been left behind.

There is one big buck with them still sporting a nice rack. I have seen them hold their antlers as late as early April. They begin to drop in late January.

Having my coffee with such entertainment is priceless
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    You are fortunate to be in that setting Dave. It looks like spring has sprung or is trying to. My figs are getting green buds, I have cucumbers, long beans, mustard greens, thyme, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, and spinach sprouted. I'll be replanting if we get another freeze. We have been running the A/C for a few days now. When does your trees start budding out up there?

Some will start in April but most will pop in May. Frost free date for us is last week of May.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Beautiful here, 70* as I Mt Biked above lake Del Valle

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

We went to Mass at 4:30 yesterday under an overcast sky. We came out an hour and a half latter with 2" of snow already down. This morning we are left with 6" of new snow and a reminder that it is still February
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This Morning.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	36646  

bet you aren't driving the new Mercedes in that white stuff
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Actually, we took it to church yesterday. When we left home snow did not appear to be imminent. So, without intent I got to try out the 4 matic, which worked extremely well.

I was telling my wife of an experience some years ago with an E class which was not 4 matic. It was a weekend evening and an associate and I went to France for dinner, something we occasionally do to get a break from German heavy. We had dinner in Strasborg and on returning to our "home" well up in the Black Forest we found it was snowing hard. Climbing back was interesting in that the car had an exceptionally effective limited slip differential and it would alternate between wheels, which would slip the rear end in a swaying motion. We never were at a point that I doubted our ability to make the climb but it was both long and seemingly laborious. I have not had, before or since, such an unusual ride.

Upper 70s reaching up 80 this week I guess now it's time to get ready for tornadoes the next time a cold front coming through
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

so today the winds kicked up, the clouds came in and the high temp of the day was 52 with wind gusts to 25 I road my bike anyways for 30 miles in just under 2 hours...even after food and a hot shower I am still a tad chilled. had a blast though. supposed to drop into the high 20s tonight.

I dressed for the cold

Last edited by TriGuy; 02-19-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Saw the first robins in the yard this morning. This years robins are not the smartest because they were all pecking around in the snow up near the house in the shade instead of out in the sunshine where the snow has melted. Dork can attest to the fact that up here whether you still have snow depends of which side of the street you are on. The city is debating whether to open deer season inside the city limits to thin down the deer population. Mule deer are a lot less spooked than the whitetails I was used to. They will herd up in folks yards block sidewalks so joggers have to swat them on the butt to get them to move. At my great granddaughter's school there would be 15 or 20 grazing in the front of the school and they knew when school was getting ready to let out so would all calmly walk down to the intersection and wait till the walk sign came on and cross the street. They didn't like the high pitched squeals of the kids coming out of class.

Hey!! I have a suggestion for the city to take care of the deer overpopulation.

Some robins do not migrate. They survive on fruits and berries. I commonly see them at the ponds looking for open water to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Some robins do not migrate. They survive on fruits and berries. I commonly see them at the ponds looking for open water to drink.
    Thanks Dave. Great link! So far up here I see them appear in early March and they hang around till mid April and then they go somewhere else. This the high desert so I imagine the moisture is the determining factor of their migrations.

ah the season is upon us. I just went to the annual Fly Fishing Exposition at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds. I attended two seminars today. Fly Fishing the Eastern Sierras, specifically two rivers I want to target this year, The Walker and the Owens. The guides who gave the presentation were happy to share the best flies and strategies for those rivers. The same went fo the second semiar: fly fishing the San Joaquin Delta for Bass, Salmon, and Stripers. I scored a 15 flies specific to the Walker and Owens for $10 but they are all in the 18-22 sizes and I will need a forceps and strong magnifying glasses just to get a 6x tippet through the eye hole and tie a knot. secondly I purchased a 5wt intermediate sinking line for nymph and streamer fishing. I also picked up a few new tricks at the casting demonstration for wet flies and nymphs

Well, shucks, now you need a new reel to put that new line on

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Well, shucks, now you need a new reel to put that new line on
    you read my mind......