Thread: A thought of spring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A thought of spring?

It was "warm" this morning ahead of an approaching snow storm beginning late this afternoon and going into tomorrow.

There was a small herd of seven deer in the field below the barn this morning. The deer, who always seem to anticipate the weather, seemed undeterred by what is to come as they rejoiced in the now. They were in and out of the woods grazing on the grass and playing. I'm sure the "players" were yearlings. They would run and jump for no other reason than they wanted to. I was seeing them on and off all morning. It is obvious the skittishness of hunting season has been left behind.

There is one big buck with them still sporting a nice rack. I have seen them hold their antlers as late as early April. They begin to drop in late January.

Having my coffee with such entertainment is priceless
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    You are fortunate to be in that setting Dave. It looks like spring has sprung or is trying to. My figs are getting green buds, I have cucumbers, long beans, mustard greens, thyme, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, and spinach sprouted. I'll be replanting if we get another freeze. We have been running the A/C for a few days now. When does your trees start budding out up there?

Some will start in April but most will pop in May. Frost free date for us is last week of May.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Beautiful here, 70* as I Mt Biked above lake Del Valle

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

We went to Mass at 4:30 yesterday under an overcast sky. We came out an hour and a half latter with 2" of snow already down. This morning we are left with 6" of new snow and a reminder that it is still February
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This Morning.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	36646  

bet you aren't driving the new Mercedes in that white stuff
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"