Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds make you comfortable

How many rounds make you comfortable

Let's say you buy a new pistol for your personal carry. Or your in car defense weapon or simply on your bedside table. It's brand new. How many rounds at the range do you need to fire before you feel comfortable with this new weapon and feel secure that it is functioning properly. Ben I would really like to hear from you if I can get you out of a hole. Of course others as well.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

We had this debate (kind of) some years ago---and the answer is---it depends

It seems Kimber owners somehow feel good about having to put 500 rounds through one to "wear it in"---I see that as poor quality control. In today's manufacturing technology there is no justifiable reason for that---but so be it.

Ask yourself how long it has been that you had a "break in period" on an automobile. The reason that is a thing of the past---it is no longer necessary because of manufacturing process improvements.

My last pistol buy was a Remington 1911 R1, as a guess it has 200-300 rounds through it and has not had a misfire. I have no reason to not have confidence in it.

I'm sure Ben will have far more substantive comments to offer
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Let's say you buy a new pistol for your personal carry. Or your in car defense weapon or simply on your bedside table. It's brand new. How many rounds at the range do you need to fire before you feel comfortable with this new weapon and feel secure that it is functioning properly. Ben I would really like to hear from you if I can get you out of a hole. Of course others as well.
    Dave is right...Never been concerned about break in, nor do I use the typical range as they're only good for poking holes in target. For my self, I've my own private 3 gun tactical range for familiarization, plus a black powder tactical range for 18th century forest warfare.

I'm not sure comparing new automobiles and the lack of breaking needed is Apples to Apples with a handgun but I do agree that it should come out of the box functioning properly. I was mainly interested in what it takes for anybody who may be here that would like to comment gets confident that you have what you might need if your life is on the line. For me it is certainly not pulling it out of the box loading it and putting it on my side. I could never imagine using a firearm that I hadn't shot many times. I'm sort of sitting on a hundred and fifty rounds with no problem before I'm comfortable. Purpose of this post was to get opinions and I thank those that have
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Here's how I "break" a pistol in. Before moving to the tactical range... one clip, strong hand, one clip weak hand to reference recoil. Next, the gun is frozen for 3 to 4 days (Canadian winter temps) followed by 5 clips rapid fire to heat the gun as fast as possible. Afterwards, the gun is warmed between 120 - 135 degree F., followed by another five clips of rapid firing (desert temps). The gun is then rapidly cooled, being tossed into a bucket of ice water (lake water temps). As much water as possible is sloshed out with another five clips fired....My PPS and PPQ are ran through this drill every year with no FTF, FTE, hang fires, or cook offs to date.
    Last edited by Polly Goodnight; 01-29-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly Goodnight View Post
    Here's how I "break" a pistol in. Before moving to the tactical range... one clip, strong hand, one clip weak hand to reference recoil. Next, the gun is frozen for 3 to 4 days (Canadian winter temps) followed by 5 clips rapid fire to heat the gun as fast as possible. Afterwards, the gun is warmed between 120 - 135 degree F., followed by another five clips of rapid firing (desert temps). The gun is then rapidly cooled, being tossed into a bucket of ice water (lake water temps). As much water as possible is sloshed out with another five clips fired....My PPS and PPQ are ran through this drill every year with no FTF, FTE, hang fires, or cook offs to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    All depends, Kimbers have a known problem, stupid tight tolerances, malfunction quite a bit. Guy I know who works for kimber owns quite a few, but his carry guns are Glocks and he recommends Glock or M&P.

Your weapon of choice needs to have 100% function ability, is 1 round out of 20 that malfunction acceptable for you, 1 round out of 50, 100, 200?? what do YOU see the issue is.

Do you carry lots and clean/shoot very little?

Personally I like to wipe down/bore snake with Slip 2000 and then hit the range, 2-3 or more sessions shooting 100-200 rds at a time, but if I want to press and do a few extra dot torture drills under a timer why not. However, once I start to get tired/bored or whatever it's time to call it a day...

Will wipe down with Slip 2000 and bore snake.

Dry fire every day, from holster at a target on the wall (20-30 reps) as well as doing dry fire practice with the SIRT laser training pistol for 30 min a day.

Typically will shoot around 800rds at the range prior to trying my carry ammo (Federal HST) and running 200-300 rds for accurate as well as to get comfortable shooting it if it has any difference in recoil or point of aim, zeroing for this specif lot number....

will not clean before shooting the carry ammo, want a dirty/dry weapon & then if it rounds nad shoots good with 100rds minimum and zero malfunctions, will clean/oil and re shoot for POI/POA shift.

Once a year I will take my carry ammo, shoot it and re load with fresh ammo from this same lot to ensure no POI/POA changes and carry it till time to order more and get enough to last a while doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dork View Post
    I'm a back country river guide, not a range troll who's into semantics...so, don't let your pretty head fret about it...
    Last edited by Polly Goodnight; 01-30-2018 at 11:00 AM.

I'm a back country river guide, not a range troll who's into semantics...so, don't let your pretty head fret about it...
    You would think a back country river guide would use proper nomenclature as words mean things, but hey, nobody expects you to actually do what's right.

You would think a back country river guide would use proper nomenclature as words mean things, but hey, nobody expects you to actually do what's right.

It's why I'm so amazing, awesome, fabulous and free as I set my own compass...I won't pasture with the common herd as you do

Have to agree with Dork. If you don't know the proper terms for firearms, you shouldn't be playing with them.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Have to agree with Dork. If you don't know the proper terms for firearms, you shouldn't be playing with them.
    Been playing with them since 1954.....Dork wasn't around to impart his vast knowledge on all things that go bang. My bad, should of waited a few years..

Been playing with them since 1954.....Dork wasn't around to impart his vast knowledge on all things that go bang. My bad, should of waited a few years..
    Your car mechanic uses the wrong terminology you will blow a gasket, your doctor calls a piece part by a different name, you loose a arm instead of a toe, the reporter uses the wrong words he changes the meaning of the story, if ya want to pretend your smart and know more than others, read a dictionary and use big words.

Want to brag about your vast shooting knowledge and how super de duper you are, ya might want to use proper terminology as words have meaning and all your usage of the improper words so is make you look old, senile and foolish.

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Reminds me of the two bit know it all's you hear at gunshows talking loud about what all they got and what it will do, what they know and can do, yada-yada-yada.

Your car mechanic uses the wrong terminology you will blow a gasket, your doctor calls a piece part by a different name, you loose a arm instead of a toe, the reporter uses the wrong words he changes the meaning of the story, if ya want to pretend your smart and know more than others, read a dictionary and use big words.

Want to brag about your vast shooting knowledge and how super de duper you are, ya might want to use proper terminology as words have meaning and all your usage of the improper words so is make you look old, senile and foolish.
    go scoot on a carpet hoser ....