Thread: I still have to sit back and be impressed

I still have to sit back and be impressed

...by the power and value of the internet.

I have been importing machinery for many years. Years ago I would know when the ship left and then it was black hole time until I would get a call saying someone had a shipment for me.

While the "current state" has been in place for a number of years and allows me to track the ship---as well as know a lot of information about it, it's speed, draft, etc. it still excites me to be able to do that.

My current shipment of a 5-axis CNC is due into Nova Scotia at 5 AM on the 2nd and the Port of New York on the 4th. I should have my new baby by the end of next week

If you would like to join me, the ship is the Brotonne Bridge. There are a number of tracking sites available but the one I use most is this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	36587  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    That is the same program I have on my computer. I used to keep up with where my Son was working in the Bay. Recently used it to track a couple of friends bringing his sailboat from Ll. to Galveston Bay. I have one for aircraft also. If an airliner goes over I can come in and see his alt.,airspeed, direction, origin and destination, make and model, call sigh,and ect. During Harvey the airspace around Houston was devoid of commercial aviation.
    Bob
    https://planefinder.net/

I have that as well. At the cottage we are on the main east west route from Chicago to NYC and NE. On the next mountain NW of us is a NAVAID station so we have a lot of traffic. Most are at 30K' + when they come over here but I can run in and check the program and know what it is and where it is going to.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'll add my comment on the internet: I had no idea how dependent I was on it until this week...I've been jonesing since Sunday night......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...