Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I wonder...

So I wonder...

Why the heck does anybody have Facebook, Twitter, instagram, etc accounts when all they seem to accomplish is stir trouble, cause headaches for themselves and ruin careers...I'm all for people having the freedom to express their opinions, no matter how stupid they are, but why would high-profile folks say it where the potential for problems is so high...

Why don't they say what they gotta say in obscure discussion boards and unread blogs under the radar of the papparazi and tabloid press...That's what all the smart people do......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Ben----you don't live in a world where everyone is so enamored with themselves that they have to post everything they do from eating to potty during the day.

I don't use them myself too busy with life.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yeah, I recognized the unsaid reason, Fred: ego...That explains Mr. Trumps use, and he's always been able to divert the attention for his own gain...

I'm wondering about people like Manziel, the Secret Service woman or the morons that posted the evidence used against them while beating a teenager...There's no way they couldn't know that something like that would come back and bite them...Are they all really that stupid?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

The Go Pro and Social Media are the best thing that ever happened to stoopid people.

Some people just need the attention Ben. Yes they are that stupid, it is all about being in the spotlight nowdays.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    Some people just need the attention Ben. Yes they are that stupid, it is all about being in the spotlight nowdays.
    I prefer being the kingmaker...Let President Phillbo take the limelight (and the punches)......Ben

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I prefer being the kingmaker...Let President Phillbo take the limelight (and the punches)......Ben
    We want you in the limelight Ben, you be good for a giggle and reading these post giggles are far and behind.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

I have used FB to troll folks before an interview or depo. Sometimes get good stuff. Dang fools will say anything.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    I have used FB to troll folks before an interview or depo. Sometimes get good stuff. Dang fools will say anything.
    If you can get people talking, they will tell you more than they ever wanted you to know.
    Bob

One word answers your question, Ben.

Vanity.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Anything that is connected to the internet is telling these data mining corporations like Facebook Twitter all the rest of them there are dozens of them everything about us every minute of the day
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I've got Facebook, have hooked up with old friends from another life all over the country, have does lots of professional networking for friends, used it as a means of communications with the NCO network, it's great for research if you consider the source, able to keep in touch with family spread out all across the place, lots of positives about it.

Several units I was in have groups, plan reunions, traveling across country, places to stop, people to touch base with, my high school class has a reunion group.....

The Commander of of one of my old units has a Facebook group and she has invites us to join it, networking, setting up reunion.....

Just got instagram, it's got lots of Dodge Charger stuff on it, lots of shooting and other friends that are not ion Facebook.

LEOSA official page how to process, the laws and specifics how they apply and all the case laws & such.....

Local weather posts there 1st, local news posts to Facebook before TV as does the police and other LE agencies.....

I'm in a vetted group that have current events/attacks/dissemination vetted news, has military/police/fire/ems i it all over the country.

In a bunch of groups called Drinking Bros that is mil based and that has saved many a life, vets and others can talk, get mental health help all kinds of stuff like that. Real deal vetted mental health counselors are in the groups, THey made a movie called Range 15 that went nationwide, the 1st movie for military produced and written by military.

I can go on and on about the good it's done, how it connects people, its easy to get sucked into it, information overload and easy to shoot your mouth off....

Byt don't blame social media for what the person does, the person says something that get's them in trouble, guess what, it's called personal responsibility

I have had a Facebook account for many years and use it in much the same way Dork describes. Keeping in touch with old friends from all over the Country, high school reunions and even friends from the Diesel stop. It is something that you can use for just communicating with anybody you used to know and see how they are doing. I never have used it to get my news and I do not put any stock into their ads that are run. If it is used to keep in touch with family it is not even close to being some sort of secret political weapon. Sure there are a bunch of clowns that let it run their lives, but thank god there are normal people who just like to enjoy life and share pieces of their day with people.

My kids and I all have a blast recalling the old neighborhood and many of their friends have joined in and reconnected with me as well. It can be used for enjoyment if you are not all that interested in being some kind of hero. Never had a Twitter account and never will, never saw the use in needing to tell a whole bunch of folks something at the same time, that I could not send out in a group text on my phone.

One of the biggest kicks I got was when a local guy ran his truck into a brick wall at one of the little convenience stores one night and then took off. Never breached into the store but made a mess of the wall. Local PD got a hold of his name and pic and posted it on their Facebook page as wanting the citizens to let them know if anybody knows his whereabouts and to give them a call. This clown gets on the PD page and is arguing with the cops about him not being informed before they released his name to the public. He tells them he has the flu and will come in when he feels better and continues to argue with them.

Funniest thing I have read in a while as I personally know the owner and manager of the store and stop there quite often. Clyde PD uses FB to keep the public informed of many different things and uses it to spotlight community activities as well as warn residents of any known scams or dangers. Our town is so small we dont have a regular paper, it is printed once a week, so it is just a tool to let the community know what is going on. Nothing vain or no political BS put out at all.

Facebook is all in how you use it and what you look for. You can make it into a tool to keep in touch or you can use it to broadcast your personal ideas and beliefs. You get to choose and you can choose to block or not visit anything you desire.

While I was researching for info on the ship my uncle called home for three years in the Pacific War, I was told of a Facebook group for family and veterans of these ships (link here for those interested), but it's one of those hidden sites where you have to be a member...I had been a Facebook member many years ago when my niece conned me into joining...I didn't like the idea of people I never heard of asking to be my "friend" so I bailed out...But thinking there might be some data on Unk's ship there, I rejoined...

Turns out my old account was still there for re-activation...The group was very informative, and I gained some intel from it, but right on cue, all these people I never met wanted to be my "friend," so I deleted my account again...I may re-activate again once a year or so to look for new info, but I'm always leery about overly "friendly" strangers......Ben