Thread: Interesting new "Airbow".

Interesting new "Airbow".

A compressed air gun that fires arrows. Big time! Be sure to watch the videos. They kill a Bison with one. Unfortunately, not a clean kill.

Right now, it is only legal on predators and hogs in Texas. Who knows what the future may bring.

I haven't hunted game in years, but I'd like to shoot one of these just to see what it's like.

Aim Here
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

glorified crosbow....said the compound bow user LOL
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

I wouldn't mind trying one out...I agree the guy could've aimed better at the bison......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It isn't possible to know for sure how long the kill actually took on the bison but the shots were perfectly placed for archery---right in the area of the vitals (lungs and heart). That kill depends on blood loss which does not immediately put the animal down.

Even with a rifle where you have the added effect of high impact I have had a whitetail buck run close to 100 yards with his heart blown up.

450 fps is about 75 fps faster than my crossbow.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

https://www.bowhunting.com/video/sol...ule-deer-hunt/

great shot but as Dave said. its a blood loss kill
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

One of the rules of bow hunting is to not immediately pursue a hit. A wait of 20-30 minutes will normally be rewarded by a kill within 500 yards. A well placed shot will cause the animal to do exactly what that bison did--- lie down. Give them enough time and they will stiffen up and soon die from blood loss. If you pursue immediately and they know they are being pursued they will continue running as long as possible--which can be an amazingly long distance.

Depending on the exact location of the hit the blood loss will be almost entirely internal making a very weak to nonexistent blood trail, so long tracking isn't a great idea.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-14-2016 at 07:14 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis