Thread: Cummins bites the Bullet and pays up

Cummins bites the Bullet and pays up

Fined more than VW for cheating on smog tests

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...act-rcna130975
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

It's ironic these companies sought to earn more money - yet paid out huge sums when caught.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Cummins is accused of installing defeat devices or similar equipment on hundreds of thousands of RAM pickup trucks between 2013 and 2023, the department said.

“The types of devices we allege that Cummins installed in its engines to cheat federal environmental laws have a significant and harmful impact on people’s health and safety," Attorney General Merrick B. Garland said in a statement, adding that the devices would have produced thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides, which are toxic to humans when breathed in.

Cummins has also agreed to settle with California's Air Resources Board.

In a statement, Cummins said it did not admit any wrongdoing and that it had no evidence its employees acted in bad faith. A spokesperson for Stellantis, which owns the RAM truck brand, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    In August 2022, Fiat Chrysler — now known as Stellantis — paid nearly $300 million to resolve a multiyear criminal-fraud probe by the Justice Department over diesel-emissions.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    It's ironic these companies sought to earn more money - yet paid out huge sums when caught.

Hunter
    That makes me wonder what else they did that they didn't get caught at......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That makes me wonder what else they did that they didn't get caught at......Ben
    yup. that being said i am about to put a vw1.9tdi in my ranger
    it's time to change the air in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
    yup. that being said i am about to put a vw1.9tdi in my ranger
    That'll be cool......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I'm a big fan of TDIs. It was a sad day when they stopped selling them in the USA.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead