Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ugly trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I'll be grateful...Maybe you'd be kind enough to let me bed down in the barn on a few soft sacks of your greenbacks too...I promise to shoot any squirrels that try to sneak in......Ben
    How rude of me---I can do even better than that---I'd be honored to have you stay in the guest room---which is not in the barn
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    How rude of me---I can do even better than that---I'd be honored to have you stay in the guest room---which is not in the barn
    Is that where the sanitized cashbags are stored?...I really don't mind the musty smell of older money......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It appears Joe is correct

I find my link is the same as Joe used---I will add that the Morning Call is a reasonably dependable source.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-26-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Is that where the sanitized cashbags are stored?...I really don't mind the musty smell of older money......Ben
    No luck with that---I have never endorsed or practiced the coffee can in the back yard approach

I work hard to earn it---it better work for me when I get it!

No luck with that---I have never endorsed or practiced the coffee can in the back yard approach
    Coffee cans rust when buried...Mason jars wrapped in cheesecloth don't...Just mark the spot well as memories seem to fade with advancing age...

Not that it ever happened to me of course......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Is that a new signature line for you Ben?

It is always good advice

Is that a new signature line for you Ben?

It is always good advice
    It's a few weeks old...And I agree......Ben

EDIT: I don't think Mrs. Miller originated the advice, but she was the first from whom I heard it...

Fans of ugly Dodges (no cracks now) may appreciate this builder's labor of love to create his own unique ugly truck beginning with a 1941 Dodge WFM-38 1.5 Ton flatbed...The original six-cylinder flathead gas engine was pulled in favor of a turbocharged Detroit Diesel 4-53T with four-valve head and Jake Brake...The only thing I would have added would be an air starter, and he may have this in mind for a future addition...He did fabricate his own tilt-cab mechanism, as well as putting a 10-speed Eaton transmission behind the four banger...His flatbed is designed for a hydraulic tilt function with the hydro unit powered by a PTO off the Eaton 10-speed...

His complete step-by-step build document can be found here for those who would like to duplicate his ugly truck in your spare time...Pay particular attention to what he had to do in manufacturing a steering shaft to accompany his already complex tilt-cab......Ben

Seen below is his parade lap...

That makes me want to go out to the barn and have my own music play---except the batteries are out of it

One of my tractors has a 4-53T in it and I have had a number of them over the years in construction equipment.

Only thing sounds better has more cylinders---like a 6-71---or a 12V-71

Here is one of my favorite machines, with twin 4-71N (naturally aspirated). One of my most enjoyed jobs was pushing these guys in heavy clay where we could pour on full power. Sitting on the push tractor and watching three stacks blow back smoke and hear the whine raises the hair on the back of your neck---unless you are dead.
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-26-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Who would have thought that what used to be called work by some could be so entertaining today?......Ben

Only thing sounds better has more cylinders---like a 6-71---or a 12V-71
    Then you might enjoy this Oshkosh, Dave, although the cylinder population under the hood was unspecified in the video......Ben

I have not had a chance to pour thru the gems in this thread, but I guarantee this picture isn't here yet. This was at a wrestling tournament in Buena Vista CO.

You will recall BV is the site of my favorite old-guys-go-out-in-a-blaze-of-glory story.

"Two men in their 70s killed in crash while speed-testing sports car on Buena Vista runway

Bruce FinleySeptember 11, 2017 at 11:36 am

Two septuagenarian friends speed-testing a sky blue Dodge Challenger Hellcat at the Central Colorado Regional Airport in Buena Vista were killed after rocketing off the end of a runway and sailing across a ravine, authorities said Sunday night.

The men had permission to use the runway, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said. And they likely were moving faster than 100 miles per hour.

The 2016 Challenger Hellcat driven southbound down the runway Friday by Lynd Fitzgerald, age 71, of Colorado Springs, with Roger Lichtenberger, 76, of San Marcos, Calif., in the passenger seat kept moving off the runway for another 314 feet, sheriff’s investigators found.

Then it went through the air over a ravine before hitting the ground. The car bounced back into the air again, flipped end over end over a second ravine, and landed on its wheels, the investigators determined.

Chaffee County Sheriff’s deputies, Buena Vista police and Colorado State Patrol troopers raced to the scene. They found the wrecked car 650 feet beyond the south end of the runway. They tried to give the men first aid.

Both were pronounced dead at the scene."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	513.1 KB 
ID:	37132  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Then you might enjoy this Oshkosh, Dave, although the cylinder population under the hood was unspecified in the video......Ben
    \

How can you possibly enjoy these videos you post without sound?????
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    \

How can you possibly enjoy these videos you post without sound?????
    If I ever get it fixed I'm going to hole up in my office here, and watch every video in this thread several times...Don't bother emailing me or texting me in that time unless you're a good looking girl......Ben

Classify this Russkie concoction in the WTF! category...I do not speak Soviet jibberish, but I do know how to operate a Google button...The thread title translates roughly (very roughly) to "Truck without a cab from the 50s, You definitely have not heard about it!"...One of the comments states, "A freight bus, more precisely, a truck of a wagon arrangement."...From there you're on your own...I'm off to the gun show!......Ben