Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ugly trucks...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Dual flathead.. have a picture (must figure out how to post it) of dual flatheads mounted on a flatbed truck and used to power a belt drive thrasher.. heard it run, beautiful music...

Also cabover 59 Chevy made into a pickup..

Both from a car show near Elkhart Indiana..

I also have a Brockway Husky hood ornament, saved from junkyard, that was destined for my F-350.. still in garage toolbox

I never heard of an inertia starter on a truck engine, but I don't remember hearing about a Federal truck either...

From the video description:
    This is how we crank up the inertia starter on my 1943 Federal Model 606 7-1/2 ton 6x6. This truck was originally built for the Army Air Corps during World War Two as a C2 wrecker, but the wrecker equipment has since been removed. It is powered by a Hercules 855 ci HXD 6 cylinder gasoline engine developing about 200 hp and over 600 foot lbs of torque at 900 rpm. The engine is also equipped with a normal electric starter. The inertia starter is an Eclipse Aviation Engine Starter and was original equipment on the truck. Eclipse was part of Bendix. The Army Air Force considered this truck an emergency vehicle and needed it to be capable of being started when the battery was dead and no other vehicles were around.
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

A 58-59 Chevie COE made into a pickup.. it is realy that short and fat..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	co-1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	458.4 KB 
ID:	37298

Name:	co-2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	501.3 KB 
ID:	37299

Twin flatheads mounted on a flatbed, used to drive a belt powered thrasher ..

Name:	fh-2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	481.5 KB 
ID:	37300

Name:	fh-3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	505.8 KB 
ID:	37301

Name:	fh-4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	479.7 KB 
ID:	37302

Name:	fh-5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	37303

We always had an inertia starter for anything that needed one when I was a kid. Any tractor with a weak battery would get parked on a hill across from the barn during the daytime--worked equally well for cars and trucks as well
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Almost a year with no ugly trucks added...Time to end the drought......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	37903
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	37903
    One of my favorites!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

You may have already gotten this one Ben----but if not---here is a gem The Herkimer Battle Jitney
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hadn't seen that one before, Dave, but it definitely qualifies as ugly......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Hadn't seen that one before, Dave, but it definitely qualifies as ugly......Ben

Wow---I done good

It's been a while since the last update, but it's Christmas time and even ugly children get a little love......Ben

Very nice
    Not to mention that I got away without getting snagged into clicking on more and more

There were a number of them "older models" that I drove I like the appearance of the 50's Cab overs from Chevy, Ford and even Dodge was into that game.

My pick for ugliest:

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	39999

A little on the Chevy COE of the 50's---it was a Model 5100 and had a 261 CI 6 cylinder engine that was rated around 140 HP as I recall. That was the biggest engine Chevy made and it was not available with anything else. It was said that with a loaded trailer (48,000 GVW), similar to the photo below, that on a hard grade you had to spit on the road to see of you were moving :rolleyes2

I think they had three cylinders under the hood and three under a dog house in the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I think they had three cylinders under the hood and three under a dog house in the cab.
    It looks like most of it is under the floor...This one had the original engine replaced with a newer 235 CI......Ben