Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ugly trucks...

Here's a better example with this Dodge 900......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Thanks Ben----now my blood pressure is up

The tank truck was more agreeable--and older. I'll see if I can find a picture.

While I am trying to find a photo here is one you can dig into:

This is an Eisenhower, built in KY and had two engines.

OK--the second one is a 1950 and looks about right. Mine was a tanker and before the FD got it it had been a fuel oil and gasoline truck. The best thing about it was the tires---they were heavy lug tread and puncture proof. I think it was a flat head 6. I originally got it for testing sewer lines where there was no public water---we filled the lines and then pressurized them. Eventually, I put a sprinkler bar on it to wet down haul roads to reduce dust----and get the whiners off my ass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	37238  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capturea.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	37237  

Last edited by Dave Grubb; 01-24-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thanks, Dave, that's one I never heard of...I found this on a website I had nearly forgotten about...
    The Eisenhauer brochure praised the design for providing: two 235-c.i. engines that could be used singly or as a pair when needed, greater front end payload capacity, multiple axles for a smooth ride, stability and load carrying, one of the final benefits claimed for the design was that jackknifing was not a possibility.
    The 235 CI Chevy engine mentioned is one I'm familiar with, having had one in one of my first cars, a '55 Belair 2-door hardtop......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Just so you Ford boys don't feel left out, Hemmings Motor News has this about dual Ford flathead powered trucks...
    What makes the trucks so compelling is that whoever built them used two Ford flathead V-8s, mounted side-by-side on a removable tray, complete with their cooling, electrical and exhaust systems. The trucks needed both engines to haul their accompanying 60-foot-long supertrailers, chock full of parts for the B-24 bomber.
    Wow!......Ben

Interesting---only one was built but many where shown----just goes to show you photo shopping was going on before photo shop was invented!

Just read the Ford link---all new to me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Interesting---only one was built but many where shown----
    It seems from their advertising, they were speculating a lot of advantages with little practical testing...And the company is still in business today!......Ben

Back to ugly----we all know what beer can do to the brain---but this is working overtime.

Back to ugly----we all know what beer can do to the brain---but this is working overtime.
    I don't even drink, but I want the truck......Ben

I may have mentioned this before, but I've always liked the look of Autocars...Beautiful ugly trucks......Ben

I have mixed feelings about Autocar---I liked their trucks---not so much their business practices. I did a big job at their assembly plant in Exton PA, before they moved to Utah to get rid of the Union.

Long story short, I ended up having to lean on my White/Autocar dealer to get paid.

When I did that job, they were suffering real labor problems. We were working in an area where the finished trucks were driven through to get to the drive-away service. I am still using washers, bolts and nuts that I picked up along their route.

At one point I was playing a waiting game in their office trying to get check---playing the same game was their trash hauler. I asked him if he too had problems getting paid---he looked at me and asked, "why do you think I am driving all Autocar trucks?

As for big and nasty looking---I'll up your bet Ben:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	37254  

As for big and nasty looking---I'll up your bet Ben:
    Mmmmm...Twin steer bed truck...Daddy like......Ben

Brockway, Euclid, Diamond REO, White, Autocar, the hits keep coming......Ben

Look at the heritage:
    Brookway bought by Mack and disappeared
    Euclid sold to GM who was forced by the Government to sell to White who sold it to Hitachi
    Diamond REO---the merger of Diamond T and Reo, then sold to White (they needed the 6 cylinder OHV gas engine)where it died.
    Autocar sold to White, then both were sold to Volvo. Autocar, is now no more than a name being used on a line of trash compactor trucks.

To see some of the ugliest trucks in the world, we now visit Australia again for the Yesteryear Truck Grand Parade...God bless the Aussies!!......Ben

Excellent work, my friends. Those are beautiful trucks.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead