Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ugly trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Then you might enjoy this Oshkosh, Dave, although the cylinder population under the hood was unspecified in the video......Ben

I can't tell from the sound what is in it---it might not be a Detroit.

Added in edit:

The M911 is powered by Detroit Diesel 8V92TA turbocharged diesel engine, developing 450 hp
    A little side information on double barrel (twin engine) scrapers or pans as they are called---they have a few peculiarities. First is the steering, they are articulated and the steering is accomplished by hydraulic cylinders. The steering wheel is the hydraulic valve--but it is non-proportional. It is either in the neutral position or full flow right or left. At full speed that can take a little getting used to. It is like going from straight ahead to full lock in a 1/4 turn.

The second thing is the throttles, there are two. One pedal applies to both engines, the other only the front engine. If you go into a turn, with the pusher engine at power it will push you over and dig your front bumper right into the ground---very alarming
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-27-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Who would have thought that what used to be called work by some could be so entertaining today?......Ben
    I have to confess---I loved it then as well---my big problem was that I loved it too much.

I should have spent more time working at collecting bills than riding cats---I sold the business because I could not make payroll the next week---with 2 plus million in receivables. Payroll and the Cat lease payments came before anything for home and my wife had pretty much emptied the freezer. We ate a lot of chicken livers, gizzards and rice in those days.

Just for the record---when you have problems getting paid and your debtors find out your business is going out---they immediately move from slow pay to no pay

An engineering degree does little to nothing to prepare you for business---I got my MBA by immersion---it was very expensive
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 10-27-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Life is cruel...How can an ugly duckling like this Mack B-61 with integral sleeper exist somewhere while denying me a chance to drool over it in person?...It even has a window in the back!......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Pollution and milage be damed . Nothing beats twin stacks blowing black for a visual.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Pollution and milage be damed . Nothing beats twin stacks blowing black for a visual.
    Agreed...Alas, my current ride, although blessed with the same 5" chrome stacks, blows no black like its predecessor......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Nothing could be uglier than that abomination that Tesla dares to call a truck
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Nothing could be uglier than that abomination that Tesla dares to call a truck
    That's no truck, just a curse in the highway that will never be loved for its hideous appearance......Ben

LOL

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

This is my candidate for ugly truck of the day...Maybe even the week......Ben

Dutch Mack......Ben

Ugly road tractors from my favorite truck video source...There's even a Canadian Dodge at 8:32......Ben

I once, years ago, was cursed with a Dodge dump truck---I'd rather not go any further

I just remembered---I also had a Dodge tank truck---formally a FD water wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I once, years ago, was cursed with a Dodge dump truck---I'd rather not go any further
    I can see why you can't go any further, after all you're in a Ford now...... Ben

I think they sold two of them

Mine was an LCF---I think that one was a CC. Mine had a neat kind of access---the hood went up and then you could swing the fenders out (front pivot). The most offensive thing was the the oil filter was an insert type and it was mounted low and the only way you could actually get to it was on a creeper. As soon as you broke the bolt loose it would begin running oil down your arm and into you arm pit

I bought a "package" from a guy; dump truck, trailer, and track loader with a back hoe attachment. The only way he would sell the rig was as a package---I think he figured he would end up with a truck he couldn't sell

Probably a Dodge 600 like this one?...You can see the fenders close at about 3:10...A good way to solve that oil problem is to have a big ziplock bag ready to wrap around the filter when you break the bolt loose......Ben