Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Malhuer National Wildlife Reserve Armed Protest

Cattle have been implicated in the eradication of native plants, the pollution of springs and streams, the denuding of cover for birds and mammals, the deforestation of hardwoods, and the monoculturing of grasslands.
    Two sides to every story it seems. Not siding with an side here, I tend to go against the government, period! But something needs to be done and the people making money off of the land are not going to do it. If you don't want to read the whole article at least read the last page.

What ranchers have always wanted, and what extractive industries in general want, is private exploitation with costs paid by the public.
    This is your mind on drugs!

I never regarded cheat grass as exotic----far more like an invasive pain in the a**. Typically grows on low fertile soil that is in need of lime---around here if you have cheat grass it's like telling your neighbors you are a poor steward of the land.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I never regarded cheat grass as exotic----far more like an invasive pain in the a**. Typically grows on low fertile soil that is in need of lime---around here if you have cheat grass it's like telling your neighbors you are a poor steward of the land.
    That's pretty much what the article said. It's what it implies, a cheat that get's the ranchers through an "X" amount of time but ruins the land and chokes out the natural forage. Cheat grass is one of the things that create deserts. The ranchers know this but do it anyway, amazing, but there's so much mistrust in the government which is justified that even when their right their wrong.

Trouble as I see it the land belongs to all of us and neither side is doing a bang up job of taking care of it.

We been sold a bill of goods from the start and both sides government and ranchers have take advantage of the situation, just like every other industry we as taxpayers have subsidized. Time to tell everyone NO when the hand is out and start over.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Time to tell everyone NO when the hand is out and start over.
    that's something we all can agree on Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Trouble as I see it the land belongs to all of us and neither side is doing a bang up job of taking care of it.

We been sold a bill of goods from the start and both sides government and ranchers have take advantage of the situation, just like every other industry we as taxpayers have subsidized. Time to tell everyone NO when the hand is out and start over.
    You got that right Fred, to bad you and all the other dems don't vote like that.

Time to tell everyone NO when the hand is out and start over.
    Is Fred turning into a conservative? Proud of you Fred, but a bunch of welfare moochers are going to start calling you racist.

Oregon occupiers: Quit sending us dildos!

hmmn not support or the snacks they were expecting

http://tinyurl.com/haldq59
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

This is the first time in days this thread has displayed correctly for me...I hope that means the glitch is solved......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Why is the government allowing supplies and mail to be delivered to this bunch? At the onset, they should have locked the place down. No water, no electricity, no gas, no nada. No one goes in and anyone who comes out stays out.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Why is the government allowing supplies and mail to be delivered to this bunch? At the onset, they should have locked the place down. No water, no electricity, no gas, no nada. No one goes in and anyone who comes out stays out.
    Tend to agree with you Mike. If this is a "hostage situation" at least for the government buildings (thankfully no people) then just surround the place and turn off everything. Then arrest them as they come out, check for damage and fine them that amount. County says is costing the county 60-70K a day for their patrols.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

70 K a day to patrol someplace where the perps are just sitting there? That to me seems a little excess. Seems like it would be very easy to shut down a road or two and starve them out.

Wannabe is offline Nov 5, 1946 - Nov 19, 2018
    A Friend Who Will be Missed.
    May He Rest In Peace
    Why is the Fed. government doing controlling land that belongs to the States?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    that's been my problem from the start, these guys are actually coming and going into the town...

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Why is the Fed. government doing controlling land that belongs to the States?

how do you conclude it's state owned? http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/291...ands-in-the-us

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr