Thread: Set up an Archery range in my back yard

Set up an Archery range in my back yard

It took some arm twisting for Ruth to let me do it. Maximum shot length is 25 yards. These are 10 and 20 yard shots at a 5" wide target

https://youtu.be/IN1hvOhb3h8
    Last edited by TriGuy; 01-02-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Spent some time at the shop on Sunday getting my bow tuned up now that is is broken in. While at the range there I got some nice pointers from some competitive target shooters. The tune up and pointers seem to have helped, Shot two flights of arrows at 20 yards at lunch today

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Are you going to hunt with this rig or is this for the range?

I shoot out to 35 yards with my cross bow for practice and that is also my limit for hunting. My son, who shoots a compound practices on a regular basis to 80 yards but limits any hunting shot to 40 yards.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

hunting, but I need to be consistently accurate. kill shots vs wounding is the goal

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    hunting, but I need to be consistently accurate. kill shots vs wounding is the goal
    That should be every hunters goal---and they should be willing to do the hard work to make that happen.

I had a mule deer get away from me at night fall deep in a pine tree ravine in South Dakota. I took a running shot off hand which I should not have taken at the long range----just bad judgment

I didn't sleep all night thinking about that and replaying it in my mind. At first light I was back in that ravine and about a half hour latter I kicked him out of where he spent the night---he is on my wall now but I still feel sorry for how it played out.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

getting better, from practice with better technique. This was the first flight of arrows I shot at lunch today. Bsed on the help I got from the pros I have worked on a repeatable process for left and right hand position which gives me stability, aiming and release.. I shot 3 flights with similar results at 20 yards. If we get a weather break tomorrow I will up up to the gun clubs range for some 30 and 40 yard shots

https://youtu.be/pTxxB9nK5_s

I need some new prescription glasses. I had a hard time seeing the target at 40 yard, but I did Ok for my first time at this distance

the view from the shooting line

results

Eric, I'm completely unfamiliar with archery...When I instruct new pistol shooters, I train them to focus on the front sight; what does a bow shooter focus on?...Also, if you're drawing the bowstring with your right hand, which of your eyes is dominant?...Are you shooting with both eyes open?......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Eric, I'm completely unfamiliar with archery...When I instruct new pistol shooters, I train them to focus on the front sight; what does a bow shooter focus on?...Also, if you're drawing the bowstring with your right hand, which of your eyes is dominant?...Are you shooting with both eyes open?......Ben
    Right eye dominant. There is a peephole in the bowstring and a LED 5 pin sight on the bow. the pins are dialed in for 20-70 yards at 10 yard intervals. the right eye peers through the peep and you center the LED pin of the proper distance to the center of the peep and the center of your target then fire.

Your mention of prescription glasses reminded me that some of my bifocal-wearing customers benefited by having an optometrist prescribe shooting glasses in which the dominant eye was focused at front sight distance, and the other eye at target distance...Shooting with both eyes open, their shooting improved...I'm not sure whether that would work for a bow shooter......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Who needs glasses for that. I have mono vision. Left eye is near sighted and right eye is far sighted. I guess I would need to shoot left handed though.