Thread: I took a frivalous day class on needle felting a couple yrs ago

I took a frivalous day class on needle felting a couple yrs ago

the gist of it is that you stab through a glob of wool a zillion times until it tightens up in to a shape. I made a radish LOL

1962794_857744930907551_1121602215_n by NT Candy, on Flickr

well I finally found a way to employ that skill set...

I call it , "Mom?"

Mom? by NT Candy, on Flickr

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

This video kind of explains the basics, but for the life of me I can't figure how you made the puppy and the shower curtain...But I like it......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

That's COOL!!!!!

I'm jealous of artists like yourself. Wish I had the talent.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

What Ben said
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    What Ben said
    What I failed to mention was that the beauty of the artist continues to match, if not outshine, the beauty of the art...But that should be obvious......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I was going to say that but I didn't want to sound like I was being patronizing
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I was going to say that but I didn't want to sound like I was being patronizing
    It's OK, Dave...Being single now, I can take the heat for both of us......Ben

hahahaha yeah I've missed you guys!

Mike, since I've been teaching adult art for a few years now I've thought alot about what we call natural artists. I had a sculptor friend who used to say all art is teachable. And while most talented ppl will claim that's not true... I really think it is.

It may be a combination of things that prevent us from trying to create but the worst one I think is when we get self critical and comparing and measuring ourselves to others.... at a certain age, all children look up and think, I'm not good at this. and artistry development ends.

I've started to really think about the way art is taught in schools and the failure of art teachers. Imagine if math or history was taught the same way? What if the algebra teachers didn't see naturally talented math minds in the room,, and just didn't bother trying to reach those who aren't?

Right now I encounter hundreds of adults in a mentoring group who say ... "I can't draw" I have proposed they switch to saying, "I don't like what I draw, yet"

I think art education has some crazy root in the mythical idea that you are either imbued with special powers or you're not... but all minds are analytical AND creative because thinking anything new requires both. we just abandon developing one side or the other at the misguided direction of education labels.

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr